Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
My question to the rest of you is, what is the best way to take in Bob Dylan? Does he have an exceptional album that stands out from the rest or should I buy a best-of CD?

i generally try to stay away from best-of compilations, especially with an artist like dylan whose albums stand on their own as cohesive efforts. bringing it all back home, highway 61 revisited & blonde on blonde are the best places to start - they're his greatest albums that best demonstrate what he did & does best. blood on the tracks is my personal favorite dylan album, but it's not the best introduction since it's kind of an oddity in his discography - dylan is best known for his surrealistic wordplay & pioneering the folk-rock movement, & BOTT is a more somber, reflective album about the dissolution of a relationship; definitely something you should check into later on down the road though. the three aforementioned releases see dylan cementing his reputation as a groundbreaking cynical street poet who played folk music as garage rock - bringing it all back home is dylan starting his transformation, highway 61 revisited is dylan solidifying his transformation, & blonde on blonde is dylan stretching the transformation. from there you can check into the rest of his catalogue, but those are his most acclaimed records that best represent what dylan basically stands for - i'm pretty sure we all have our personal favorites, but those three albums are really the best places to start.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw