And Connery isn't cartoonish? His whole character is a caricature. A Scottish actor who made his name as an English spy playing an Irish American cop might prove versatility, but I find it appalling to watch. Garcia's role is just as bad. But Garcia's always been wooden and limited. He sort of fits into The Godfather Part III because he borrows from Pacino by disguising any acting inadequacy by shouting uncontrollably in fits and starts and violent bursts of masculine angst. It does very little for me.

I've never cared (or perhaps once did in younger days) for blending violence with one-liners. It works in certain fields - though James Bond was going down shit creek before Craig's rejuvenation - but De Palma's adventure film, besides a few of the expected decorative stylistic touches, is a drab affair of awkward sentimentality and undeserved dramatic incrementum. The slow-motion of the pram descending the stairs couldn't be any more obvious a shout of "LOOK! WE'RE PAYING HOMAGE TO EISENSTEIN! TAKE NOTE! I LOVE FILMS!!!"

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 05/16/07 12:55 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?