Giambi hobbled by bone spur in foot

NEW YORK -- Yankees designated hitter Jason Giambi had X-rays on Tuesday that revealed a bone spur in his left foot, but the slugger believes that the injury will not keep him out of the lineup for an extended period.

Giambi, 36, was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning of the Yankees' 8-2 victory over the Rangers on Tuesday at Yankee Stadium. Giambi said that the bone spur creates irritation, but he could be available to play on Wednesday.

"It's manageable," Giambi said. "It's not to the point where I can't stand on it."

Yankees manager Joe Torre said that the bone spur is not a situation that overly concerns him.

"It's something he's had, and will deal with," Torre said.

Giambi said that he first began feeling the irritation in his left foot during the club's series at Texas last week, and he attributed some of the problem to a dry field at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

Giambi said that the spur is closer to the heel of his foot. He went 0-for-2 with a walk and a run scored on Tuesday, after going 0-for-4 in Monday's loss to the Mariners.

"The last couple of days, I haven't swung the bat very well," Giambi said. "With that being my back foot, it puts more pressure on it."

For the moment, Giambi believes that he can control the issue with a regimen of treatment and ice therapy.

He joked that his speed game -- which, of course, is nearly nonexistent; he had two stolen bases in 2006 and has none so far in 2007 -- may suffer.

"I'll have to try for 40 and two," Giambi said, referring to home runs and steals, respectively.

In 31 games for the Yankees this season, Giambi is batting .299 with five home runs and 18 RBIs.

Source: Yankees