Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Have you read any Woolf? I have Sophie's Choice unwatched back home; I love Klute and All the President's Men.

I've only read "To the Lighthouse". Not an easy read, considering the philosophical tone. I wouldnt recommend it to everyone.

Sophie's Choice

Adapted from the novel bearing the same name, Sophie's Choice is the story of a unique relationship between a holocaust survivor (Sophie), her lover Nathan and their new neighbour Stingo. From this outline the plot evolves into revealing secrets from Sophie's past as she tells her story to Stingo.

Not everyday do you witness such a friendly triangle of a couple and a newcomer. A truly unique sort of relationship that I can only dream our society would accept. These scenes, though serve as the outline for Sophie's story, are also the essence of the film. One cannot work without the other. The present is inextricably bound to the past in this film and is not to be taken as a mere introduction.

Many viewers before me have praised Meryl Streep's performance in this film, and I find no reason to disagree. She learned to speak english with a polish accent as well as fluent german, and acted the flashback scenes in Auschwitz with much authenticity. She literally begged Pakula for the role, and the effort she put into it is visible and rewarding.

With that said, I have to say that character-wise I was far more intrigued by Nathan. Like Stingo, I also felt that he's larger than life. You could not anticipate his reactions. He played two different characters embodied in one, that often times I wondered whether he's got the leading role in the film. Kevin Kline gave his once-in-a-lifetime performance, it was a beauty. (Shame really, that he later went down the hill and ended up making the horrible "Wild Wild West"....but I guess all actors fall down that hill every once in a while.)

Stingo however, while being the story teller, is basically no more than just that. There's not much to learn from his character. He make friends with Sophie and Nathan, thus leading us into their world. He also falls in love with Sophie, thus she ends up revealing her story to him (us). In order to serve the plot as this channel between them and us, he possess the character of the easy-going somewhat naive writer who learns a lesson about life on his temporary stop in a brooklyn apartment.

It is the story of Sophie, Nathan, and Stingo's relationship.
It is the story of Sophie and Nathan's relationship.
It is the story of Sophie.

You get 3 stories in 1. What more can you ask?

****/*****

Cant wait to read the book.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)