Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I've said it before and I'll say it again : The only way to keep gasoline prices low is if we start drilling in places like Alaska for our own oil. It's common sense. If there's one grocery store in a town, that grocery store can charge whatever prices they want for their products. But if two or three more open up in that same town, it creates competition which historically leads to competitive pricing, thus making things affordable for the average working man.

We can have these don't purchase gas today days all we want, but if we keep buying these monster SUV's and keep our dependance for oil with the foreign countries, these kinds of protests will do absolutely nothing.

I agree these protests don't do much.

But I can't see how drilling in Alaska helps reduce our dependency on oil. US uses over 7 billion barrels of oil per year, so we're talking about maybe 1.5 years worth of oil in ANWR. And that is 6 to 10 years down the road. So it may not even do that, because consumption will have increased by far more by the time the oil starts pumping. Seems to me it is better just to reduce demand period.

And a temporary 5% increase in oil--much of which we wouldn't even see. The oil already produced from Alaska is exported to Asia because it is cheaper. Yea, it is cheaper to sell our oil to Asia and import oil from the Middle East than it would be to ship Alaska oil to the US and Middle Eastern oil to Asia.

Last edited by Saladbar; 05/05/07 12:26 PM.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"