Originally posted by Toni_corleone:
Look all I'm saying is that there are only suppose to be five New York Families the Corleones were New York based and so were the other four.

The five families are.
1.The Corleone Family
2.The Barzini Family
3.The Cuneo Family
4.The Stracci Family
5.The Tattaglia Family

Much like these real families.

Bonanno
Colombo
Genovese
Gambino
Lucchese
And all I'm saying is that Puzo created a fictional 6th family, so as to avoid speculation as to which of the actual five NYV families the Corleones were supposed to represent.

The "fuck-up", if you will, was Puzo's failure to name the sixth family during the scene depicting the peace conference among the various Dons.

It's pretty clear to me that from all of the evidence that has been cited here by way of quotations from the novel that this was just one of many examples of sloppy writing in the book.

Now it's true that the sloppiness could have been Puzo's implying that there were six families in the first place, except that he says it so many times, vs. only one example of sloppy writing in the is area if you think tht he intended that there be only five families in total - the "sloppiness" in his failure to name them.

There were many passages in which Puzo said one thing in the book and then went on later to contradict what he said originally which could be considered sloppy writing.

His constantly writing about six families in total and his failure to subsequently name all six is just another example.

"Difficult....not impossible"