Pavano throws bullpen session, says arm is better

NEW YORK -- Carl Pavano got back on a mound Sunday for the first time since April 9, throwing a bullpen session as New York Yankees manager Joe Torre looked on.

Pavano has been sidelined by forearm stiffness, and the Yankees have not set a timetable for his return. Torre said Pavano threw about 45 pitches, 20 from the top of a mound.

"Everything was positive," Torre said. "He was free and easy. He popped some balls, felt pretty good freedom and he said it's feeling better. For the first time being on the mound, I thought it was a good outing for him."

Pavano is 1-0 with a 4.76 ERA in two starts, his first appearances for the Yankees following 1 1/2 years of shoulder, back, buttocks, elbow and rib injuries that caused many to question his desire to pitch and some to ridicule him. He probably will have another bullpen session Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jeff Karstens was limping around the clubhouse, a day after his right leg was broken when Julio Lugo lined the first pitch of the game off the side of his knee. While he wasn't in a cast, the area below the knee was blue.

"It's just a little sore, not really pain," Karstens said.

New York estimated he will be sidelined for six to eight weeks. He watched a replay on Saturday night, and he said his first reaction was: "Ouch!"

"I was actually more thinking about all night how come I didn't try and go after the ball?" he said.

Karstens was placed on the 15-day disabled list, and right-hander Colter Bean was recalled from Triple-A Scranton. Bean was in Columbus, Ohio, half-asleep, when he received a call at 1 a.m. Sunday telling him to get to New York in time for Sunday's game against Boston.

Source: ESPN