Originally Posted By: Double-J
Is Joe Girardi the answer? I'd say yes. What our team is lacking is fire, is will (and of course, healthy starting pitching). Girardi brings the Torre patience and class but he also brings a bit of a temper too, which is exactly what we need. I don't know if Mattingly can do that, at this point.

As the days go by, and if the Yankees don't get out of last place by mid May, I would seriously expect heads to roll. Cashman saved Torre's job last year after the Detroit debacle. I don't think George is going to be patient again.

I haven't been impressed at all with what I've seen with Mattingly as a coach. Now Giradi, he seems perfect as Torre's heir apparent (Plus, NL Manager of the Year trophy in his first year out *is* his resume) but can Papa George maturely deal with someone that unlike the internalizing Torre, is up for temper fights with management?(Then again, penny-pinching Marlins management would make anyone go fist flying)

You do forget that besides Cashman, Jeter went up to the plate for Torre. If what I remember is correct, Jeter pulled his "City's Sports Hero/Yankee Heroic Leader" trump card that Papa George helped groomed against him...and for a good cause.

I just don't know whats with Torre. Is it that the bullshit with George for the last 7 years(or 13 including the fruitful years) has burned the man out?