Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I doubt they told Fredo, and I doubt he even thought to ask. He was blinded by the opportunity to make something on his own.

Yes. A constant theme in the Trilogy is "carelessness" (Vito's term) caused when greed, lust for revenge, yearning for power, etc., lead people into idiotic mistakes. Logically,did Paulie think he could get away with calling in "sick" on the day Vito was shot? Did Carlo think that the family wouldn't connect his beating of Connie with Sonny's assassination?
And did Fredo think that whatever "help" he gave Roth and Ola wouldn't result in harm to his brother? Did he care?

Quote:
The late-night phone call shows that Fredo realizes he was lied to, making it likely that he didn't know it was a hit.

Maybe. But the "lie" he protested also might have been an earlier assurance by Ola that the hit would be neat, clean and successful.
 Quote:
But the question remains: What information did Fredo provide Roth, and how could he have possibly thought it would have helped in a negotiation?

Well, that's one of two closely related, long-term $64,000 unanswered questions on these boards. The other is: who killed the Tahoe shooters?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.