Waterworld *
(First Viewing)

In the future, the Earth is engulfed with water when the polar ice caps melts, leaving the lands and civilization beneath the sea. In "Waterworld" drifters sail across the waters of the world on their man-made ships, trading for supplies and salvaging what is left of civilization, communities of survivors lives in towns called "Atolls" and a force of evil pirates "The Smokers" travel across Waterworld in search of a mythical island called "Dryland". Arriving at a Atoll, a mysterious drifter without a name called The Mariner is sentenced to death when the community discover he is a mutant. When the Atoll is attacked by The Smokers led by their evil leader Deacon, a woman named Helen and her adopted daughter Enola bribes The Mariner to take them to Dryland, believing The Mariner has been there. But the Mariner, Helen and Enola are pursued by Deacon and the Smokers, when The Mariner learns the tattoo on Enola's back is in reality a map that will lead them to Dryland.

It took me 12 years to see this film and I could easily have died a happy man without seeing it. Did anyone else who has seen this feel as if it was a 1990s version of Mad Max on the High Seas? At least they were able to save money on the set designs. Kevin Costner & Dennis Hopper, you guys are MUCH better than this. I really shouldn't be surprised though as Kevin Reynolds directed this. Besides this film, he's been responsible for the following 2 train wrecks: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Tristan + Isolde. Some how he was able to string 2 good movies together: 187 (1997) and The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) but that's it.