Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Under Brian Cashman : Five American League pennants and three World Series championships, with the team finishing first in its division every year!

Under Joe Torre : Brought the Yankees to the playoffs for eleven straight years. Six trips to the World Series, winning 4 of the six. And three straight within those 4 WS wins!

Here are the problems with that:

1.) George Steinbrenner. Although "The Boss" has cooled his heels in recent years and stopped his Billy Martin tirades, this may be the year Torre gets canned. His contract is up at the season, and won't be renewed, given that both 2006 NL Manager of the Year Joe Girardi and Yankee icon Don Mattingly both have thrown their proverbial hats in the ring as successors to the Torre throne.

Given that Torre has been present for some of the more memorable Yankees meltdowns of late - the Marlins in the World Series 2003, Boston in 2004, Detroit in 2006 (even though the Tigers were arguably hotter and also given Kenny Rogers pine-tar power), and that the Yankees haven't been to the World Series since 2003.

I realize the you and I probably would still look at his record and say, w00t! Amazing! But George doesn't see it that way. He wants to win, and win often. At Torre's current rate, I'm honestly surprised that he wasn't canned after last year. He has begun to show some serious traits - he has no fire whatsoever, never challenging calls. He doesn't retaliate after the Yankees get hit. He overuses the bullpen (this year excepted). Now, you could argue his starters have been poor, forcing him to the 'pen, but he rode Scott Proctor and Ron Villone so hard last year, it likely ended Villone's career and Proctor still shows the effects of overuse.

2.) Brian Cashman and pitching. I know, I really like (for the most part) what Cashman has done on the offensive side of the ball. He's protected and nurtured guys like Cano and Melky. But Cashman has virtually nothing to show for on the pitching end other than Chien-Ming Wang, who was essentially a fluke and surprise since he was projected as a strikeout style pitcher as a 4th starter, until he was injured and learned a sinkerball (and the rest is history).

Can you tell me that Jeff Weaver, Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright, and Carl Pavano have been good decisions? Pavano gets a slide, since of course there were at least 5 teams willing to jump at him as a free agent, an no one figured he was going to be the Crash Test Dummy. But Weaver sucked. Kevin Brown was 5 years past his prime (and reinforces my thoughts that a team should never sign a pitcher who they have bombed, like they did Brown in the playoffs when he played for the Padres). Jaret Wright was already injury prone and a mediocre National League pitcher who had one good playoff round.

Other reasons that get honorable mention? Letting Roger Clemens get away. That probably isn't fair, considering that he said he was 99% retired, but still. Andy Pettitte leaving the first time? Ugh. From my sources, that was a Papa George decision more than Cashman, but that can't be verified.

Seriously, I think Cashman may need his head examined on some of these pitching decisions.

3.) What have you done for me lately? The Yankees haven't sniffed the World Series since their abrupt exit in 2003. Their team has tried to get younger, but at the same time, a number of teams have tasted victory, including Chicago, St. Louis, Florida, and most heinously ( \:D ), Boston.

I think that serious questions have come up surrounding the composition of the Yankees over the last few years. I think much of this is due to the huge contracts that have them tied to older players, but the Yankees have failed to get a stable pitching staff and have failed to keep their bullpen fresh (this year's injuries notwithstanding).

We all know pitching wins the World Series. The Yanks have not had a decent rotation since Clemens left. Our team is just about due for a watershed event, irregardless of how well or poorly they do this season. It may come within the next three years, but the old guard will nearly be gone - Posada will probably play another year or two, Matsui's contract is up in 2008, Damon's in 2009, Rivera is a free agent after this year, Giambi is done after 2008, and A-Rod could leave after this year. A bit scary.

Now, by this time, Mussina will be done (if he isn't already), Pavano too, Pettitte too, leaving Wang and Hughes to anchor a new rotation, hopefully made up of a youth movement.

If I had to construct a plan for the Yankees to succeed by 2010, this is what I would do:

• First Base, Play A:Sign First Baseman Mark Texiera after the 2007 season. He'll be a free agent. He brings power and defensive ability to the first base position, something we haven't had since Don Mattingly vacated.

Plan B: Find a way to get Albert Pujols from the Cardinals. Virtually impossible, and he's locked until 2010 with a club option in 2011.
  • Second Base, Plan A: Resign Robinson Cano. His contract is up after 2007.

Plan B: Infielder Alberto Gonzalez, acquired in the Randy Johnson trade, is performing well. He could be a nice replacement if Cano walks.
  • Third Base, Plan A: If Alex Rodriguez stays, then keep him locked up.

Plan B: If A-Rod goes, Miguel Cabrera is a free agent after 2007.
  • Shortstop, Plan A: Jeter is under contract until 2011, but by this time, one has to wonder how his skills will be. Again, Alberto Gonzalez is an unknown at this point, but could be a decent solution. I'd start acquiring lots of young infield prospects now. Possibly get Alex Gordon from the Royals. He is a FA after 2007. Obviously a reach, but he may be available given the Yankees payroll.

Plan B: Move A-Rod to shortstop, and Jeter to third. Jeter's range of motion (or lack thereof) won't hurt him as badly as it would at short, and if Texiera is at first, they have no place to put him. A-Rod seems to still have good lateral movement, it may not be a bad idea.
  • Left Field, Plan A: Matsui is under contract until 2009. Good. He's still solid. Now however is the time to find out whether Melky Cabrera has what it takes to be an everyday major leaguer. If he does, look for Melky to replace Matsui in 2010.

Plan B: Jose Tabata.
  • Center Field, Plan A: Damon is locked until 2009, but his body is catching up with him as he's nicked nearly every game. Maybe traded in some sort of package deal. Sign either Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter as free agents.

Plan B: Jose Tabata.
  • Right Field, Plan A: Abreu's contract ends this season, and so does Ichiro Suzuki's. Pull out all the stops to sign Ichiro. I realize he's over 30, but his consistency is something we desperately need.

Plan B: Torii Hunter, Jose Tabata (yes, I realize I've used him too much now \:p )
  • Pitching, Plan A: Wang should anchor a rotation. Johan Santana can either be traded for or signed after 2008. Phil Hughes can develop into a Clemens-style power pitcher. Tyler Clippard, Steven White, and Steven Jackson should be anchors at the end of the rotation. Kei Igawa may learn how to pitch in the United States. Trade for a solid veteran pitcher. Pitching,

Plan A:
    Pray.