Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
But in the boathouse, Michael finally sees that Fredo is MAD. He's angry and resentful of Michael's success. He can't be angry at his father, because he loved Vito too much, but he truly believes that he was capable of taking over the Family, and that Michael was pushed ahead of him. He's FURIOUS at this, and his jealousy would have caused him to try and set Michael up again one day. He was not only envious of Michael's position and power, but his marriage and children, too.

Michael killed Fredo to protect all of his interests, personal and business, since they were intertwined. It was the one sin he committed that he couldn't live with, but it was necessary.

That's where I come out, SB. Michael may have been willing to give his brother a pass prior to that scene. He might have been persuaded that Fredo's stupidity made him a victim of Roth's guiles and an "unwitting" participant in the hit attempt. But the outburst showed Michael all the pent-up rage and resentment Fredo had been harboring, was still harboring--and no doubt would have continued to harbor as long as he was alive. No way he could have felt safe forever.
DC, I agree with you that Michael's "forgiving" Fredo and keeping him at the compound was supremely cold-hearted and manipulative. But that was Michael.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.