Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Stop, stop, stop!!! This was a nice thread, where SOME people could post about their love of the sport and the team. It has turned into personal and vicious backbiting, and it's disgusting! You ALL sound like a bunch of jerks who are trying to see who can piss the greatest distance.

I'm a Yankee fan, through thick and thin. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate another team's achievements, it doesn't mean that I don't despair when the Yankees are down, and it doesn't mean that I don't recognize their weaknesses. But cheer for them I will, and I think that the ridiculous and personal remarks that have been exchanged here take away from what USED to be a fun place to post and pick up gossip about the team, find out who was on the DL, who was being traded and for whom, and just general appreciation of the team and the game.

Stop, stop, stop!! And go sit in the corner is RIGHT.

I concur. Please cut the shit. This thread has now twice teetered on the verge of closing (I'd suspect) because of this stuff. Can we all just stop and talk about baseball please? Christ. \:\/

---

I really don't like the Hughes call up. On one hand, I'm very excited to finally see them give the kid a chance. On the other, I think this is a move made in haste (maybe by Papa George?) to try and keep the Yankees afloat early on in the season.

Granted, he has looked sharp in AAA, and we all know his dominance in the lower leagues. And, they are bringing him in "gently" by playing him against the Jays rather than the Red Sox (who, coincidentally, lost 7-3 to Toronto tonight).

He's clearly the best pitching prospect in baseball. But they need to make sure he doesn't end up as the biggest bust either. I still think its too early. He's only 20. WTF.

---

Rumour mill, according to Mike and the Mad Dog, is that Dontrelle Willis may be heading to New York before too long. I've never been high on Willis because I don't think he'll transition well to the AL East (given the previous transitions of former Marlins like Beckett, Pavano, etc.). But at this point? I'd ship Rasner and prospects for him.

---

Maybe George has a big birthday present for us. Roger Clemens has been training since late March, and will be ready to play the first week of May.

---

The Yankees bullpen is, on paper, much better than it is in reality. 95% of that is due to overusage at this point in the season. I'm really surprised the way Torre burned up relievers tonight. Igawa already was the sacrificial lamb...plug in Colter Bean and just let him go.

---

Wang's return hopefully can right this ship. It really sucks with Kei Igawa as the anchor of the rotation. Now, with Wang and Pettitte, we at least have two pitchers that can pitch more than 5 innings (effectively no less). We need innings eaters. I hope you're hungry, Chien.

---

Surprise! Injury rumour - Carl Pavano is out for the season. No kidding. According to Sweeney Murti on Mike and the Mad Dog, Pavano told him today he has "shooting pains down his arm" and he doubts he'll be able to play again this season.

Can we just shoot this bastard and collect the insurance money? Ugh.

---

Gil Meche doesn't seem so bad right now.

---

Josh Phelps is still on pace to prove my prediction correct - he'll be the everyday first baseman by the end of May. His offense has remained solid, and he's come up with some big hits.

---

Wil Nieves? Ugh. I think I could catch and hit better than he can. You can't tell me that Javy Lopez is worse than this.

---

Thank God A-Rod's going on his tear. I still think Abreu is overrated, and Giambi still has signs of Cecil Fielder syndrome.

---

Let's hope Damon being spelled by Melky happens as infrequently as necessary. Melky as the leadoff hitter...ugh. He's hovering just barely above the Mendoza line.

Seriously...who else regrets not shipping him off for Mike Gonzalez in the offseason?

Hands? I'd expect a chorus.

---

Nobody can make that off-balance throw like D-J. A-Rod came close though.

---

The Good:

- It's still early
- Wang is back tomorrow
- Matsui is back
- A-Rod streak continues

The Bad:

- The bullpen is overworked and tired
- No break until next week
- Mussina still not sure of return date
- Melky and Eye-Chart's nonexistent offense
- Colter Bean is "free" but still isn't MLB quality relief

The Ugly:

- Management is panicking and bringing up Hughes early
- Pavano looks to be done for the season (and his career)
- Chase Wright will probably run the gauntlet again
- Hughes' call-up means we have to throw someone on the waiver wire before sending them down
- Andy Pettitte is our best reliever
- Yankees tied for lowest # of save opportunities in MLB