Apple, here's a trade-off that might have been worthwhile.

I would delete Kay's visit to the mall in search of Michael ("That was an accident but nobody was hurt..."). It's good, but eliminating that scene wouldn't cloud the plot, nor would we be here advocating it's inclusion because of some question or issue that becomes clearer because of its inclusion.

In it's place I would add one of three scenes that DO advance the plot or clarify some point. I would add either the Genco deathbed scene, or Sonny's dialog with Michael about Clemenza/Paulie and his phone call from "his man at the phone company," or the killing of Fabrizio.

"Pop had Genco. Look what I got..." Unless you read the book, or actually saw GF-II, the name Genco doesn't mean anything in GF-I. The addition of the Genco deathbed scene would have introduced the role of the consigliere to "the family," clarified Genco's actual importance to the family and Vito in particular, and served as a validation of Tom's ascendency to consigliere.

"Paulie sold-out the old man." When Sonny makes that proclamation, it calls for some suspension of disbelief. While Paulie was conveniently sick and you could reasonably infer that he was complicit in Vito's shooting, it would be great to have plausible evidence that points to Paulie's responsibility for the attempt on Vito. Sonny's call and his exchange with Michael make Sonny seem less emotional and more rational with firm evidence of Paulie's complicity in Vito's shooting. You may or may not argue that it makes Sonny almost don-like...but it certainly points to some strong leadership skills with solid intelligence.

And finally, I can't imagine that Michael really would have "settled all family business" without taking care of Fabrizio.

Delete Kay at the mall and add just one of these scenes and it would have been an even better movie.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"