Originally Posted By: klydon1
 Originally Posted By: Don Andrew
 Originally Posted By: Snake
I recall a few years back when some city councilman/alderman somewhere used the term "n.iggardly" when warning about how freely the city spent money. Guess what? He had to apologize to the black community (not sure, but he may have even ended up resigning). I thought it was getting pretty ridiculous then. But now, insanity has reached new heights...or, should I say, lower depths??

Ridiculous how...because he had to apologize for using an obviously racist term? Spending money "niggardly" reeks of ole Bob Ewell from To Kill A Mockingbird if you get what I mean.

The word "niggardly" is a legitimate word. Its roots and meaning are completely separate from the racial slur that sounds like it.

It has fallen into disuse most likely because of the similarity to the slur, but it is a legitimate adjective meaning miserly.

Snake, your story reminded me of a hotly contested local election many years ago that I've heard about. The contest was up for grabs until one candidate said openly of his opponent, "he metriculated at the State College, and he masticates three times a day."

The electorate in their ignorancevoted for the misleading candidate overwhelmingly as they didn't want to elect a sick pervert who went to college and has three meals a day.

Yeah, but the councilman should've known better. You just can't use ni**er nowadays. It absolutely is a double standard, but still, he should've known he would catch shit from people.

Hey, how's it going?