Originally Posted By: Beth E
I think it's quite funny and ironic how the "Rev" :rolleyes" Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, two of the most racist talk show hosts out there, are pushing for Imus' dismissal. Wasn't it Jesse Jackson who referred to New York as "heimeytown" because of it's large Jewish population? And if Sharpton is so upset about PUBLIC AIRWAY being used to call people Nappy headed ho's then he needs to lead the bandwagon in getting every single rap song off of PUBLIC AIRWAY that calls a woman a bitch or a ho.

That's an excellent point- actually a couple of excellent points.

While Imus' comments and references were demeaning in a crude way, much vulgarity and degradation of the same ilk flourish with impunity. This permits an inference that some people are perhaps more offended by the messenger than the message. No single race holds a monopoly on this behavior, nor is this outlook, I think, limited to racial perspectives, but I have to admit that Beth 's examples hit the mark.

Similarly, because the reported suspension of Imus didn't occur for almost a week after he uttered the garbage, one can surmise that the suspension was not for what he said, but to appease those calling for his head. I certainly don't feel sorry for Don Imus, and probably agree that a suspension is warranted.