Originally Posted By: svsg
Three Colors: Red *
This was the most disappointing of the lot. Very good use of red color. But neither visually captivating nor great background score as with other two parts. Till the end I was wondering what was the point of the movie.

Maybe this will help a little.

The Red color on the French flag is said to represent fraternity or brotherhood. Kieslowski and Piesiewicz take that as a departure point to go the opposite route of the spirit of brotherhood which is indifference to your fellow human being. Kieslowski did say the film is a movie against indifference.

Then, a part of the film is to show helping someone else (i.e., the Judge "helping" Valentin's love life).

It's the most mystical movie of the trilogy and is very much in line with Double Life of Veronique.

Is the Judge some type of mystical figure? Notice that he checks Valentin's ticket to presumably check what ferry she is riding and what seat she has. Does he know that the Young Judge and Valentin are meant to be together? And if so, he's having a direct hand in it so to speak.

Notice what happens to the Young Judge is exactly what happened to the Old Judge in the story he told Valentin (i.e., he saw his
girlfriend having an affair). There is also the mirror-instance of both judges dropping their books on the day of the exams and the page showing happened to contain the question/answer on the exam.

So, the Old Judge who was coldly indifferent to humanity and eavesdropping on people's privacy redeems himself through helping another.

We see a need for connection throughout the movie. Fate is another theme. Notice the massive crane shot that links Valentin and the Young Judge as their paths will cross in the future, but at the moment they don't even know that they live very near eachother.

Is it fate? Or chance?

Nothing is clear-cut. It's just not one of those movies.

I like Three Colors: Blue the best while most lean towards Red.

Quote:
Plot makes very little sense to me.

The plot is actually simple, it's just the ambiguity that makes it seem incomprehensible (side note: are the concept of chance and fate really comprehensible to human reason and intellect?).

Plot and Story: A young student and model by chance (or fate) runs over a dog which leads to her meeting with the dog's owner, a retired judge who eavesdrops on his neighbors. Their encounter and subsequent relationship has profound effects not only on their lives, but other people as well.

Quote:
There is a clever touch in the very last scene, but that is not worth going through the entire movie.

The last scene is very important in sort of making concrete the abstract concepts of fate or chance, but it's not the entire point of the movie (fraternity, brotherhood, indifference).