I've just read the for scholars only part of the site were it says who tried to have pentangeli killed and I've come up with a theory.

O.k Michael goes to Roth and says it is Pentangeli who tried to kill him (michael), he then goes to Pentangeli and says it was roth who tried to kill him (michael). At this point the viewer does not know who michael suspects and in my opinion neither does michael. He goes to both of them to (soften them up) and judge by reaction who tried to kill him. Roth plays the innocent old man who feel's sorry for Michael (and he's very convincing). Were as frankie see's this as the time were they should take them all out "Let's hit 'em now while we got the muscle!" But don't forget at the begining Frankie want's the Rosato brother's dead. Now when he says "Let's hit 'em now while we got the muscle!" I'm almost certain he means they should kill the Rosto's as well. This tell's Michael two possible things

1) Frankie still want's the Rosato's dead.

2) (Possibility) Frankie wanted Michael to react this way so he orderd the hit knowing two thing's. Either Michael would die. Or Michael would survive think it was Roth and order his, Johnny Ola's and the rosato's death.

So at this time Michael think's Pentangeli orderd it. This is why he tries to have Pentangeli killed. Later on in Havana Fredo denies being involved with Hyman Roth and Johnny ola. But michael finds out through Fredo's stupidity that he did know Roth and Ola. This then forces michael to react by putting his head in his hands in shame. Not only because Fredo has betrayed him but also because he has orderd an innocent man's death. Before this Mike tells Fredo he is going to have Roth killed because he says it was Roth who tried to have him killed. This seems strange seeing as I've already said he almost knew it was Pentangeli. But don't forget he ALMOST knew it was Pentangeli and we know Michael is hardly the greatest risk taker in the world. So to be safe has Pentangeli killed. We soon learn that Fredo gave information about the estate in lake Tahoe to Johnny Ola. To most people this definately means it was Roth who tried to have him killed. But not for Michael he still is not sure so he has both pentangeli and Roth killed. Most would say he had Frankie kill himself because he (Frankie) Had broke the rules of cosa nostra and ("squelld") to the F.B.I and must die for it. But in a way Michael breaks the rule's "You give loyalty to a jew before your own blood." Of course Micahel could be a hypocrite but if he killed Frankie for ratting them to the F.B.I why doesn't he kill Willie Cicci.