Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Huh?

This is like people, like my adversary, who excuse the dumbass bullshit in action movies as saying thats what "action" movies are made up of.

NO NO NO!

Same with sci-fi. Look at the great science fiction movies I love. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, BLADE RUNNER, STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KAHN, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, DARK CITY, THX 1138, etc.

They all involve, in some or another, exploring the moral quandaries using the technology genre aspect of sci-fi.

2001, its about the evolution of mankind. BLADE RUNNER is about what makes humanity...well, humanity. TREK 2 is good adventure trash pulp, but it does ask about creation and destruction of life. THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is humanity not able to ensue peace among itself, with aliens willing to militarily intervene against us. DARK CITY is about our memories and the environment that could, or could not, determine how we will act as individuals. THX 1138 is about the individual's essence to escape with curiosity.

INDEPENDENCE DAY isn't a bad movie, but its not worth a fart. The only nice thing about it I can say is, its not as messy or bad as Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin's other movies(STARGATE, THE PATRIOT, GODZILLA) that all share one trait: Great potential premises blown to shit by lukewarm weak executions.

Hell, STARGATE is more remembered now for a pretty fun TV show than it is as a movie.

INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996) - **1/2

All the movies you mentioned are very good.

I just meant some movies aren't meant to be taken THAT seriously. And a lot of sci-fi movies fit into that category. But that doesn't mean they aren't good.

This is all just opinions, and I think we're kicking the shit out of a dead horse.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club