I'm sure this has been brought up before, but doesn't it seem awfully convenient how Carlo is guilty for setting up Santino for assassination?

I know this thread is for the film, but I'm going to morph both here for a moment. In the novel, after Carlo beats up Connie, Carlo lays down to take a nap. He doesn't call anybody to alert them that he just did the job on his wife, and that Sonny might be coming over.

In the film, it shows Carlo beating her up, and then it cuts to showing Connie calling home. No mention of Carlo alerting the Barzini people.

This was in Carlo's nature, to beat his wife. He took out all his Corleone frustrations on the one person he could take it out on - not the Godfather himself would interfere between a husband and wife's quarrels.

After Sonny died, Carlo laid off altogether - out of guilt, out of fear, essentially because Sonny got clipped coming over to see Connie after the beating. If Carlo hadn't beat up his wife, Sonny never would have been clipped.

But I never saw the connection as to how Carlo set up Sonny. Its never mentioned in neither the book nor the movie.

Wow, you could pull the wool over my eyes, but not a Corleone's eyes, that's for sure.