GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,414
Posts1,060,533
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 6 56 57
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Don Cardi] #390916
05/05/07 12:26 PM
05/05/07 12:26 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I've said it before and I'll say it again : The only way to keep gasoline prices low is if we start drilling in places like Alaska for our own oil. It's common sense. If there's one grocery store in a town, that grocery store can charge whatever prices they want for their products. But if two or three more open up in that same town, it creates competition which historically leads to competitive pricing, thus making things affordable for the average working man.

We can have these don't purchase gas today days all we want, but if we keep buying these monster SUV's and keep our dependance for oil with the foreign countries, these kinds of protests will do absolutely nothing.

I agree these protests don't do much.

But I can't see how drilling in Alaska helps reduce our dependency on oil. US uses over 7 billion barrels of oil per year, so we're talking about maybe 1.5 years worth of oil in ANWR. And that is 6 to 10 years down the road. So it may not even do that, because consumption will have increased by far more by the time the oil starts pumping. Seems to me it is better just to reduce demand period.

And a temporary 5% increase in oil--much of which we wouldn't even see. The oil already produced from Alaska is exported to Asia because it is cheaper. Yea, it is cheaper to sell our oil to Asia and import oil from the Middle East than it would be to ship Alaska oil to the US and Middle Eastern oil to Asia.

Last edited by Saladbar; 05/05/07 12:26 PM.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Saladbar] #390917
05/05/07 12:28 PM
05/05/07 12:28 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I guess I have to go back to doing my grocery shopping at Giant Eagle now cuz shopping there they gave you a discount off of gas at their Get Go gas stations. Like a couple weeks ago when it was 2.79 I got gas there for 2.49 cuz shopping there I got 30 cents off of gas.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #390931
05/05/07 03:00 PM
05/05/07 03:00 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Mignon
I guess I have to go back to doing my grocery shopping at Giant Eagle now cuz shopping there they gave you a discount off of gas at their Get Go gas stations. Like a couple weeks ago when it was 2.79 I got gas there for 2.49 cuz shopping there I got 30 cents off of gas.

Not Bad. if you filled up and took 20 gallons you saved $6.00
which you could then shoot over to McDonalds and get a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke. Lets just hope that the prices at Giant Eagle were cheaper then what you would have saved a Public or some other place.

I always laugh at my friends that drive across town to save five cents a gallon. They save a whole dollar which they watsed on the drive over there.

Yesterday we stopped down at the marina and the pumps said over $4.30 a gallon. So you can bet the boating season will take a beating if it goes up another buck or two.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Saladbar] #390940
05/05/07 03:55 PM
05/05/07 03:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Saladbar

I can't see how drilling in Alaska helps reduce our dependency on oil. US uses over 7 billion barrels of oil per year, so we're talking about maybe 1.5 years worth of oil in ANWR.

Saladbar, I think that you are only taking into consideration our oil reserves. I was not talking about the reserves. If we were to drill for the untapped oil in areas of Alaska, it is estitmated that we could pump out about 10 billion barrells of oil. Now that might not sound like a substantial amount of oil, but if you break down the numbers and spread it out over a number of years, it could reduce America's oil imports from the middle east by about 25%.

And if we, as you said, can learn to reduce our oil consumption by stopping the purchase of SUV's and other big gas consuming vehicles, that 25% could increase a significant amount.

The other problem is that we do NOT have enough oil refineries to produce product. In other words we do not have enough of our own refineries to convert crude oil into gasoline. On many occassions there are barges and barges with crude oil just sitting out in the ocean somewhere untouched because the refineries that we have are at capacity in converting crude oil to gasoline and heating oil. So what happens is a false demand is created for gasoline in the summer months and then a false demand for heating oil in the winter months. The refineries cannot keep up with the demand for either of these products because there are not enough refineries out there to take that crude oil that is sitting on these barges and convert it to heating oil or gasoline. If there were more off shore refineries in this country, then the barrels of crude oil sitting out there on those barges would be converted more speedily thus eliminating this false demand for those products which in turn causes the cost of gas and heat oil to go lower.

The lack of refineries, the use of large SUV's and gas guzzling vehicles, the untapped oil in Alaska and the manipulation of pricing by OPEC and other middle eastern oil producing companies is what contributes to the high prices that you and I are forced to pay for gasoline and heating oil.

As for the use of Diesel fuels, well we saw what happened after a few years with that plan. Diesel fuel bacame more expensive than regular gas.

Don't kid yourself. The big boys in control have all the bases covered. They'll do whatever they can to make their money. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: fathersson] #390945
05/05/07 07:32 PM
05/05/07 07:32 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: fathersson
Not Bad. if you filled up and took 20 gallons you saved $6.00 which you could then shoot over to McDonalds and get a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke. Lets just hope that the prices at Giant Eagle were cheaper then what you would have saved a Public or some other place.

Nah I'm more of a snack wrap,fries and rootbeer sort of girl ;\)
Gas is down to 3.08 today. Woohoo

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #390946
05/05/07 07:48 PM
05/05/07 07:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I'm paying $2.81.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: olivant] #391000
05/06/07 10:55 AM
05/06/07 10:55 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I tend to agree on some amalgamation of Don Cardi and Saladbar's arguments, however, I would not eliminate SUV's or bigger vehicles. Rather, I think legislation needs to be enacted on all cars (both domestic and foreign) the encourages more automobile efficiency, and also maybe include more tax incentives to both the company and the consumer for purchasing this type of vehicle. The current standards of next-gen cars with their batteries that will wear out in a few years (and then cost a substantial amount to replace) is not the answer.

Frankly, and this is probably a separate discussion (feel free to make a thread), I have very little sympathies for automakers at this point, largely because since the early 1980's quality has significantly declined while prices have steadily increased, at least in the domestic market. The average American family cannot afford $40,000 mid-sized sedan. If the American autos began making quality cars that were affordable to average people, then there would be a drastic turnaround in the industry. Where does this fit in with the gasoline question? Make more fuel efficient cars for better mileage that are durable and consistent. I don't care whether my wheels have spinners or I can trick my ride or fashion some bling. And the vast majority of decent, hard-working Americans don't either.

Make something people can afford, that is efficient, and you will make a profit. It's pretty straightforward.

Frankly, I'd tie this whole issue to national security. No way we could get automakers to be on an even remotely similar plane like American industry was during World War II (and even that was rife with corruption, with Alcoa, the Dollar-a-Year men, etc.), but make a play towards GM and Ford and Daimler-Chrysler that they need to do this for the good of America.

And after all, if we all get wiped out by an Iranian nuclear bomb, nobody is going to by buying any Hummers.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Double-J] #391020
05/06/07 02:10 PM
05/06/07 02:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, maybe the May 15th boycott won't accomplish a darned thing, but it will certainly make ME feel better!

I agree with DJ. The automakers should spend less money on cupholders and heated windshield-wiper fluid and more on affordable, durable and gas-efficient automobiles. Toyota has been the frontrunner on fuel efficiecy, coming out now with both the Camry and Highlander in hybrid models. What hybrid does GM have?? Um, none that I'm aware of. The automakers should receive some incentive to develop technology and the consumers should be rewarded handsomely for buying them.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #391021
05/06/07 02:24 PM
05/06/07 02:24 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
What hybrid does GM have?? Um, none that I'm aware of.

According to GM's website, they offer 5 consumer-grade vehicles, and also mass transit buses.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/300_hybrids/

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Double-J] #391023
05/06/07 02:51 PM
05/06/07 02:51 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Thanks, DJ. I currently drive a Buick, and I knew that the there were no Hybrids in the Buick line, but I wasn't aware of any other GMs coming out. Looks like these will be available for the upcoming 2008 models.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #391048
05/06/07 06:08 PM
05/06/07 06:08 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
What I don't understand is why one gas station here can have gas at 3.08 and and at another station not even 2 minutes down the road it's 3.05

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #391049
05/06/07 06:10 PM
05/06/07 06:10 PM
New York
SC Offline OP
Consigliere
SC  Offline OP
Consigliere

New York
What I don't understand is why one gas station here can have gas at 3.08 and and at another station not even 2 minutes down the road it's 3.05

Its called free enterprise.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: SC] #391050
05/06/07 06:23 PM
05/06/07 06:23 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
No it's called bending over and taking one up the ass.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #391081
05/06/07 07:50 PM
05/06/07 07:50 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York

Gee, Mig, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;\)

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #391212
05/07/07 08:07 AM
05/07/07 08:07 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Double-J] #391397
05/07/07 04:24 PM
05/07/07 04:24 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I'd like to see a tiered system. The people who drive Hummers and other gas guzzlers should be forced to pay more on a prorated scale, whereas someone driving a Toyota Corolla would pay less at the pump. Honestly, I don't know how to implement such a system, but something has to be done.

The government should impose a cap on the profits oil companies are permitted to make, especially the gauging that occurs. I know it flies in the face of free enterprise, but these prices are motivated by pure greed.

We do need to change our habits and start drilling in Alaska as Don Cardi stated. I'd also like some alternative fuel sources, more affordable electric cars and more affordable hybrids. There are plenty of people who would drive such cars if a) they were reasonably priced and b) if there were more areas throughout the country that accommodated such models (i.e. places for electric cars to charge, longer battery life for elecgtric cars, etc).

The people I feel bad for are the lower income families/individuals who are working decent, honest jobs but not getting paid much money. These spikes in gas prices are so out of proportion with inflation that it is impossible to compensate for these people. The choice is between gasoline and either food, heating, or medical care. I'm fortunate that my wife and I have a decent income, but we're being more frugal with our driving habits and we're cutting back things that are unnecessary. I would gladly take the bus or train if I didn't have to take my kids to school.

I just hope this is the spark needed that cripples the automotive industry and forces it into making more fuel efficient automobiles and to stop producing these enormous gas guzzlers for the average consumer.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: goombah] #391404
05/07/07 04:34 PM
05/07/07 04:34 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Goombah, what is scary for the our working poor is that these gas price increases spill over into other consumer goods. Look at heating bills, electric bills, increases in the cost of food, school taxes will increase because it will cost the schools more for heat, etc. DC mentioned the price of corn in an earlier post. I have a friend who raises cattle, and the cost of feed has doubled in the past two years. He'll have to raise the price of his beef accordingly. Rents that include heat will increase when leases are up, and the rising cost of housing is going to hurt the working class as well.

When you think about how much our country relies on trucking as its major form of shipping goods in this country, you'll see the cost of everything skyrocket, and that's going to force other industries, like stores, restaurants and movie theaters into a downward spiral, as people will need to conserve their money for necessities like commuting and food.

These gas price increases are going to have a far-reaching effect on our way of life, and we haven't even begun to feel it.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #391406
05/07/07 04:38 PM
05/07/07 04:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I agree Babe, there are far-reaching effects. But there is a psychology associated with the increases. For one, if prices go down to $2.50 again, won't we all be so thankful. We'll forget when just a few years ago the price was $1.50.

In the end, it all comes down to supply and demand.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: olivant] #391408
05/07/07 04:40 PM
05/07/07 04:40 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That is very true. Anything under $3 seems like a bargain now, doesn't it?

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #391430
05/07/07 08:30 PM
05/07/07 08:30 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Mig, (or anyone else that may be interested) read HERE
for an idea as to how gas prices are made and why prices vary from one station to another.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Don Cardi] #391433
05/07/07 09:12 PM
05/07/07 09:12 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

The more I think about this whole "gas out" idea the more I think its going to backfire on most people. Lets look at it in pure theory alone, not everyone will know about this, not everyone will follow it, but there will be some who will.

The amount who don't buy for one day will have no effect whatsoever on the gas prices, but in theory, May 16th will leave us with the same supply and an increase in demand. I can see the headlines now as prices go up because of an increase in demand ;\)

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Don Cardi] #391442
05/07/07 09:49 PM
05/07/07 09:49 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Mig, (or anyone else that may be interested) read HERE
for an idea as to how gas prices are made and why prices vary from one station to another.

Thanks Mr. Cardi

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #391447
05/07/07 10:32 PM
05/07/07 10:32 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
West Oakland, CA

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Saladbar] #391448
05/07/07 10:35 PM
05/07/07 10:35 PM
New York
SC Offline OP
Consigliere
SC  Offline OP
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Saladbar
West Oakland, CA ($4.00+ prices/gallon)

Ouch. Maybe I shouldn't bitch about the $3.20 we're paying here.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: SC] #391449
05/07/07 10:37 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I shouldn't bitch about the $3.05 I'm paying here.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Saladbar] #391450
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Saladbar,

Everytime I hear gas prices for the state of CA, it seems Northern CA is always ahead of the L.A. area (by quite a bit it seems). Why is that?? Damn, I wonder if they'd take an arm and a leg as well.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #391452
05/07/07 10:38 PM
05/07/07 10:38 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Arm and a leg plus you're first born TIS.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #391516
05/08/07 07:31 AM
05/08/07 07:31 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Goombah, what is scary for the our working poor hard-working, tax-strapped middle class is that these gas price increases spill over into other consumer goods. Look at heating bills, electric bills, increases in the cost of food, school taxes will increase because it will cost the schools more for heat, etc. DC mentioned the price of corn in an earlier post. I have a friend who raises cattle, and the cost of feed has doubled in the past two years. He'll have to raise the price of his beef accordingly. Rents that include heat will increase when leases are up, and the rising cost of housing is going to hurt the working class as well.

When you think about how much our country relies on trucking as its major form of shipping goods in this country, you'll see the cost of everything skyrocket, and that's going to force other industries, like stores, restaurants and movie theaters into a downward spiral, as people will already need to conserve their money for necessities like commuting and food.

These gas price increases are going to have a far-reaching effect on our way of life, and we already haven't even have begun to feel it.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: Mignon] #391526
05/08/07 08:45 AM
05/08/07 08:45 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I shouldn't bitch about the $3.05 I'm paying here.

No, we should bitch about it. It's ridiculous everywhere in this country, some areas worse than others.

DMC - you're correct. Those gas "boycotts" for one day are totally useless. The only effective boycott would be to stop purchasing from BP, Shell and any other "big" oil/gas company. The problem is that there aren't too many other good stations around. I'll go to Costco, but I honestly have no idea where they get their gas from.

Re: What the F*CK is Going on with Gas Prices? [Re: goombah] #391532
05/08/07 09:27 AM
05/08/07 09:27 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: goombah
I'll go to Costco, but I honestly have no idea where they get their gas from.

They purchase their gas on a dialy basis, from distributers who sell at what is called a rack price, which is based on the spot price of that day's open outcry market settlement.

Costco uses gas, which they generally price at about 6 to 12 cents a gallon below the local competition, as a loss leader to generate in-store sales. So they will make a minimal profit, sometimes even take a small loss, because statistics show that a high percentage of consumers who go there to purchase gas will shop in the warehouse itself which increases Costcos sales and profits. Keep in mind that the pumps that they have on their lots are all self-serve, so basically their are no labor costs. They don't have to make money. If they lose money, they make it up in store traffic.

Don Cardi cool

Page 4 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 6 56 57

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull