Murcer 'entirely clear' of brain tumor

TAMPA, Fla. -- Bobby Murcer will begin experimental cancer treatments next week after tests revealed that chemotherapy and radiation have been effective in fighting his brain tumor.

The New York Daily News reported Saturday that Murcer, 60, will undergo his first treatment on Monday at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

"I'm happy to report that the tests have shown that I'm entirely clear in regard to the tumor," Murcer told the newspaper.

"Obviously, this is encouraging news for me, although I know that we're still dealing with an incurable cancer here and just trying to contain it."

Murcer will return for additional treatments every two weeks until May. He originally had surgery on Dec. 28 to remove a malignant brain tumor after complaining of headaches and a general loss of energy.

A five-time All-Star during a Major League career that stretched from 1965-83, Murcer has been a mainstay in the Yankees' broadcast booth dating back to his retirement.

He has set his sights on returning to the team's YES Network television broadcasts at some point early in the 2007 season.

"That's what I love to do and nothing's going to stop me from doing that," Murcer said earlier this month.

Source: Yankees