Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
DonT,

All that you say makes a lot of sense and seems to fit into the scheme of things. But let's keep in mind that when FFC made the Godfather I movie, there was never even a thought about making GFII. So therefore there couldn't have been an attempt to lay the groundwork in GFI for the plot in GFII regarding Michael, Roth and Fredo.

What I do believe though is what I wrote in a previous post that Green probably was the one who put thoughts in Fredo's head. Not so much to make Fredo betray Michael, but probably more so to make Fredo feel inferior to Green, so that Green could order him around without any back talk and at the same time show others around him that he, Green, really was this important guy, so important that he could even order and slap around a Corleone and get away with it! In the context of Godfather I being a movie on it's own, Green probably put those thoughts in Fredo's head for his own benefit, to serve his own ego, and really nothing more.

Don Cardi

DC of course you are correct about FFC not knowing there would be a GFII, however if you look at those two movies as one piece of work the pieces all fit. I agree that Moe was just trying to show Fredo who swung the bigger ....um stick.... but still I think at that time everybody thought the Corleone family would collapse. Thats why Moe thought he could impress Michael by telling him "I talk to Barzini" and that he can make the deal with him and still keep the hotel. Bluntly he was telling mike the Corleones were in Roth's words...small potatoes.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."