I never saw ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN Irish, but I assume its B-monster sexploitation fare of its time from the 1950s. Still, when Joe Bob Briggs of MONSTERVISION fame loves it, its worth checking it out then.

Pizzaboy, what gives? Buschemi might be the only good thing in CON AIR. But deal anyway. He's gotta feed his kids.

CON AIR (1998) - **1/2

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer's output has a shit-to-quality ratio of 7-to-1, but I'll give him this. He knows how to make lots and lots of money. That's why behind Spielberg, he's the big daddy in Hollywood.

Establishing the 1990s over the flippin-top action blockbuster template with hack master Michael Bay in BAD BOYS and THE ROCK earlier, Bruckheimer takes the mold and effectively makes the same movie that patronizes to the poor white males of the south and midwest...while insulting them quite openly. As a southerner, this pisses me off.

Take the opening of CON AIR. Its so emotionally manipulative in a contrived way. Soldier guy Nic Cage saves his pregnant wife and bad violent hooligans. Because the evil judicial system wants to give him the death penalty anyway, he cuts a 7 year manslaughter plea deal.

This doesn't make sense. Surely an emotional jury would have found him not guilty, on the premise of Self-Defense. Right?

But yeah, I forgot. With logic, there wouldn't be a movie.

However, while the usual action dynamics as you would expect in a Bay-esque picture is going on, I tuned out. However, John Malkovich takes his super-genius baddie that is over the top like the rest of the movie, but its entertaining. Too bad the rest of CON AIR doesn't do this for me.

As for Steve Buschemi, he was fun. A crazy-ass C-grade Hannibal Lecter clone serial killer that turns out to be whacky.