The Punisher (1989) ** 1/2
(First Viewing)

Based on the Marvel Comic, Dolph Lundgren is Frank Castle an ex-cop who lives in the sewers and acts as judge, jury, and executioner to the city's criminals in retaliation for the unpunished murders of his wife and kids. Frank's ex-partner Jake (Louis Gossett Jr.) finally catches up with the vigilante as he tries to stop the Japanese mob, which is trying to take over the city's mafia operation.

I really thought Dolph Lundgren did a good job as The Punisher. This was A LOT better than I expected and I enjoyed it very much. It had mafia and yakuza figures and it was actually set in New York. I probably enjoyed the remake more because it went in depth with the Frank Castle character. What I didn't like about this film is they never really say how or why he became The Punisher. The movie just picks up with him being "on the loose" for the past 5 years. Sure we know his family was blown up in a car explosion, but why? There were too many questions that needed to be answered. Also what I liked about the remake more was Frank Castle had military training, whereas in his picture we're only told he was a former cop. I think the military training is more believable for succeeding at the task at hand (namely riding the city of crime figures).