Hughes bound for Triple-A

TAMPA, Fla. -- Even if he had compiled great numbers this spring, Phil Hughes would have been a long shot to open the season in New York, with Yankees officials tabbing him for seasoning at Triple-A.

Three appearances into his second Major League Spring Training, the 20-year-old right-hander has not changed the organization's thinking.

Unable to throw his curveball and changeup for strikes on Sunday, Hughes surrendered three runs and four hits in a 1 1/3-inning performance against the Indians. Afterward, he lamented not making the Yankees' decisions more difficult.

"It's a little bit frustrating to not go out and pitch the way I know I can," Hughes said. "At the same time, I think [the Yankees] had their minds made up from the beginning, so it wasn't like I could really go out there and do anything special to change their minds.

"It's Spring Training. Stuff-wise, I felt much better than the first two times. It's just that the results weren't there."

With starting pitchers beginning to work deeper into games, the Yankees have a second round of reassignments to Minor League camp plotted for execution on Tuesday. Accordingly, Minor League intrasquad games begin on Wednesday.

It is not known if Hughes will be on that list, but it has already been made clear that -- at some point -- he will be taking his belongings across the street to the Minor League complex.

"I have no idea how much longer I'll stay," Hughes said. "It doesn't make too much of a difference. I'm still getting the same work. It's probably a little bit better to face big-league hitters rather than Triple-A guys."

In 4 2/3 innings this spring, Hughes' results have not matched up to his impressive Minor League career. His ERA is an unsightly 7.71, and after averaging just 2.09 walks per nine innings last season, he has already walked six in Grapefruit League play.

Yankees manager Joe Torre said he was pleased to see Hughes continue grinding through his performance Sunday, and noted that Hughes never appears to lose his composure -- a good sign.

"This is all about experience for him," Torre said. "He's got an opportunity to pitch here in Spring Training for us, and I think whatever the results, it's all good for him."

Hughes said that the experiences from this spring will remain with him after he leaves Legends Field, whenever that may be.

"It's a huge eye-opener," Hughes said. "I can remember a couple of occasions where if I throw that breaking ball for a strike, I'm probably in a lot better spot. It's just a matter of doing it."

Source: Yankees