GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 412 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,476
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,963
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: swearing [Re: Don Cardi] #374382
03/11/07 04:47 PM
03/11/07 04:47 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

You did correct me, I have no respect for ********

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: swearing [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #374669
03/11/07 09:17 PM
03/11/07 09:17 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
I have to agree with Debra, if you're going to swear, just go ahead and do it. I mean, we're all mature enough here that we can withstand a few curse words. And if someone isn't, it's not like they're going to look at something like "f*ck" and go, "Well, gee-wiliker, I have no idea what that is. It must be French. Those French are colorful characters! I like tea and candy. Sometimes I like to stick my candy in my tea to sweeten it. Time for lunch! PB&J for me!... etc. etc. etc."

SC said something about conveying his anger while trying to keep himself clean. I'd feel a little let down if I tried to let out my emotions via word, and all I could manage to do was angrily pound the Astrix key several times. "Grrr, I'm one badass mother trucker! Feel my wrath in a series of incoherent numbers and symbols! GRRR! **#$@#*$#^*!!" It just isn't as relaxing as going "Fuck shit balls boobs!"

Come on, try it. It's exhilarating.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: swearing [Re: long_lost_corleone] #374694
03/12/07 01:21 AM
03/12/07 01:21 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Is that what "F*ck" means? All this time I've been reading it in my head as "Fasteriskck"

I agree with Debra as well. For some reason it's never crossed my mind when it comes to the internet, but I have wondered why I can listen to songs on the radio and you can clearly hear the "F" followed by a blanked out silence then the "CK". How does that pass FCC regulations? It's not like anyone hears that and goes "What did they say? Fink you? YEAH! That must be it!"

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: swearing [Re: Blibbleblabble] #374727
03/12/07 08:50 AM
03/12/07 08:50 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
For those that English is not their mother tongue, is it me, or curse in English has less impact than that of your own language? I mean if I hear the equivalent of f-word in Persian I'd be changing colors, but it is not that huge of a deal in English. Not that it isn't totally, but still...

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: swearing [Re: afsaneh77] #374799
03/12/07 03:43 PM
03/12/07 03:43 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
For those that English is not their mother tongue, is it me, or curse in English has less impact than that of your own language? I mean if I hear the equivalent of f-word in Persian I'd be changing colors, but it is not that huge of a deal in English. Not that it isn't totally, but still...

I tend to agree with you, though for some other reason primarily. In my culture, all the swear words in english have an equivalent, but are used only by the so called "low class" people. An educated person from a decent family would very rarely use those words. You will definitely NEVER hear these words in movies, unlike hollywood movies. Even if they have a word that means "butt", it would immedietely qualify for "A" (Adult) rating that is equivalent of "R" by MPAA. But it is tough to find even movies with 'A' rating having as much foul language as PG rated American movies. It is a culture difference. When I hear these english swear words, I don't feel it is somehow severe because I keep hearing it from all the educated people, almost all the members I respect on these boards use it. I guess it is normal then...

Re: swearing [Re: svsg] #375382
03/13/07 08:11 PM
03/13/07 08:11 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Hey, just out of curiosity, what is you first language/culture, svsg? I knew from pictures you were of an Eastern descent, but because your location tag reads Texas, I just assumed you were born in America... guess that's my bad.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: swearing [Re: long_lost_corleone] #375392
03/13/07 09:07 PM
03/13/07 09:07 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I am from India, born and brought up there. I am in Texas for my Masters education. My mother tongue is Telegu, a language spoken in south India, though my first language is a bit complicated. That is because I have had all my education in English and hence I am more fluent in it than any of the several Indian languages I know.

Re: swearing [Re: svsg] #375885
03/15/07 04:00 PM
03/15/07 04:00 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Ah, that is cool. I thought you were from India, simply based on appearance, but I didn't want to be rude by making an assumption.

Speaking of bollywood movies, I almost saw the Indian remake of Fight Club, having been under the impression that a cinema on 43rd was playing the American version (which is what was listed on IMDB). Now that you've mentioned that there is little swearing in Indian films, I'm sort of interested in seeing it, based on the fact that the American version of the film, along with the novel in which the movie was based on, contained more f-words than I can count.

Re: swearing [Re: svsg] #375887
03/15/07 04:08 PM
03/15/07 04:08 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: svsg
I am from India, born and brought up there. I am in Texas for my Masters education. My mother tongue is Telegu, a language spoken in south India, though my first language is a bit complicated. That is because I have had all my education in English and hence I am more fluent in it than any of the several Indian languages I know.

My son spend a good deal of time studying in Madurai. There they speak Tamil, and he learned some...is able to write and read it fairly well. Are you from near there?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: swearing [Re: long_lost_corleone] #375919
03/15/07 05:29 PM
03/15/07 05:29 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Speaking of bollywood movies, I almost saw the Indian remake of Fight Club, having been under the impression that a cinema on 43rd was playing the American version (which is what was listed on IMDB).

If you are referring to an Indian movie with the title 'Fight Club' that was released sometime within last 2 years, then it has nothing to do with the original Fight Club. And I also heard that it was total crap. And I want to warn you of the quality of the Indian remakes. Maybe 5% of them would do any justice to the originals. All the popular movies from Hollywood have been remade in Hindi (The language in which the popular movies from India are made) and most of them are ridiculous beyond imagination

Re: swearing [Re: dontomasso] #375922
03/15/07 05:37 PM
03/15/07 05:37 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

My son spend a good deal of time studying in Madurai. There they speak Tamil, and he learned some...is able to write and read it fairly well. Are you from near there?

Yes, I remember you told me about him before I left India. I was born in Chennai(capital of Tamilnadu, where Madurai is - info for others who are aren't familiar) and stayed there for 10 years. So I can read, write and speak Tamil. I can barely speak my mother tongue, and can read it, but cannot write. I have stayed in Bangalore for another 11 years, so I can again read and speak Kannada(the local language there) to some extent, but cannot write. However I am fairly fluent in Hindi, the national language of India. I can read/write/speak. It is crazy, we have so many languages to deal with. It is admirable that your son picked up one of the difficult languages - like english, the pronunciation of words in tamil are very context specific. For example we do not pronounce PUT and CUT the same way in english, one has to know it before hand to be able to pronounce the word. Most other indian languages have words that can be pronounced only in one way.

Re: swearing [Re: svsg] #376192
03/16/07 03:08 PM
03/16/07 03:08 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted By: svsg
Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Speaking of bollywood movies, I almost saw the Indian remake of Fight Club, having been under the impression that a cinema on 43rd was playing the American version (which is what was listed on IMDB).

If you are referring to an Indian movie with the title 'Fight Club' that was released sometime within last 2 years, then it has nothing to do with the original Fight Club. And I also heard that it was total crap. And I want to warn you of the quality of the Indian remakes. Maybe 5% of them would do any justice to the originals. All the popular movies from Hollywood have been remade in Hindi (The language in which the popular movies from India are made) and most of them are ridiculous beyond imagination

Yeah, it looked pretty crappy based on trailers I saw a long while ago... I remember they were dancing.

But I had assumed it had something to do with the original, as I remember seeing bars of soap on lobby cards and trailers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull