From today's NY Daily News:

'Sopranos' iced in Jersey

BY JANE RIDLEY
Daily News Staff Writer

Shoot the final episode of "The Sopranos" in Bloomfield? Fuhgeddaboudit!

The mayor of the New Jersey town has whacked a plan to allow producers onto his turf, claiming HBO's hit show about violent mobsters reinforces negative stereotypes of Italian-Americans.

Now the owners of Holsten's Brookdale Confectionery, the ice-cream parlor selected for the series' last scene, want the mayor and other council members to rethink their decision not to issue a film permit.

They've already brought in the big guys, including Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo, a fan of "The Sopranos," which resumes its sixth and final season on April 8.

"Nobody is more proud to be an Italian-American than I am," said DiVincenzo, who made a personal visit to the store on Wednesday to show his support. "I'm not offended by the show at all."

But Bloomfield Mayor Raymond McCarthy says he will vote against the permit again when it is considered for a third time next week.

"I don't think 'The Sopranos' depicts the life of a typical Italian-American in a positive way and I still don't like the way people see New Jersey based upon 'The Sopranos' series," he said.

The ban has divided the town.

"'The Sopranos' has been a series that depicts Italian-Americans in the worst light," said resident Emanuale Alfano, who leads the Italian-American One Voice coalition.

But council member Peggy O'Boyle Dunigan said, "If you don't like the show, you can turn it off."

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."