Yankees Notebook

Quote:
Source: MLB.com

Moose hacks: Mike Mussina allowed two runs and four hits in three innings on Thursday against the Braves, including a solo home run to Jeff Francoeur in the second inning.

He was more satisfied with his feel on the mound in his second spring effort than his first, but it was a third-inning at-bat against Braves starter Tim Hudson that truly tickled Mussina's fancy.

Mussina -- a career .178 hitter in 45 at-bats -- flied out to Francoeur in right field, laughing as he returned to the dugout. Mussina said he told Hudson, "Thanks," for throwing him a hit-me fastball; Hudson returned a grin.

"I wasn't even going to swing," Mussina said. "I was going to take three pitches, but when you're throwing 87 [mph] right down the middle, I've got to at least put it in play."

Mussina said that his 44-pitch effort was fine for this point in the spring.

"I had to work a little bit today," Mussina said. "It's still the first 10 days of March. It's still new. It's getting the ball down and away, it's getting breaking balls over the plate. It's the same stuff."

This and that: Right-hander Humberto Sanchez (right forearm tightness) continues to soft-toss on flat ground and could return to a mound by the weekend. He has reported no further stiffness. ... Outfielder Bobby Abreu (strained oblique) has attempted swinging a broomstick and felt no pain. He may begin taking dry swings with a bat this weekend. ... Pettitte will be held back from Monday's game against the Red Sox at Fort Myers, Fla., given the long trip for a night game. Torre said that right-hander Ross Ohlendorf is likely to be awarded the assignment instead.

Quotable: "He'd either have to be hurt, or all his kids are going to have to graduate from high school. I don't know what it's going to take." -- Mussina, on what might eventually prompt Clemens to declare his retirement

Coming up: Carl Pavano (0-0, 4.50 ERA) makes his second start of the spring on Friday against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, facing off at Legends Field at 7:15 p.m. ET. Pavano went two innings in his Grapefruit League debut at Clearwater on Sunday, allowing one run. Jeff Karstens, Chase Wright, Kyle Farnsworth and Sean Henn are also scheduled to pitch for New York.

Right-hander Tim Corcoran (0-0, 0.00 ERA) counters for the Devil Rays, who are also planning to throw J.P. Howell, Jae Kuk Ryu, Al Reyes and Gary Glover.