Phillips Rejoins Team

Quote:
Source: Associated Press

Friday, March 9, 2007 - Updated: 06:09 AM EST

TAMPA, Fla. - Yankees first baseman Andy Phillips rejoined the team Thursday after missing one week to be with his mother, who was critically injured in a car accident last week in Alabama.
Phillips said his mother, Linda, is improving and in stable condition. She has undergone two operations, including one on her hip.

”She’s doing better everyday,” Phillips said. ”The doctors seem really optimistic about what she’s doing and what they’ve been able to do. It’s very encouraging.”

Yankees manager Joe Torre said Phillips will work out for a few days before maybe playing in a game by the end of the weekend. Phillips is trying to win the right-handed half of the Yankees’ first base platoon.

”Everything seems to be going well at home,” Torre said. ”That’s the important thing.”

Phillips had spoken with his mother two hours before the accident on Feb. 28.

”It was an emotional roller-coaster for a while,” Phillips said. ”It’s a little difficult because she’s still not as alert as I would have liked, to leave. I felt comfortable with where she was. It’s always difficult when you leave that situation, but at the same time I was ready to get back.”

Phillips said the situation could been worse if his pregnant sister, Erin, hadn’t decided not to ride with their mother.

”I look at things that could have happened,” Phillips said. ”It’s absolutely a miracle. First off, my sister could have very easily been in the car. She’s two weeks from having her first child. She decided to stay home. The fact that my mom is alive is a miracle.”

Phillips got emotional when talking about the ”overwhelming” support from his teammates.

”To see guys reach out like that because it’s been tough,” Phillips said. ”It makes you proud to call these guys teammates and friends.”

Josh Phelps also is trying to become the right-handed half of a platoon that will include Doug Mientkiewicz.

Notes: Torre said LHP Andy Pettitte will pitch in a simulated game Monday instead of traveling to Fort Myers for a night game against Boston. ... Yankees GM Brian Cashman said RF Bobby Abreu (strained right oblique) should resume swinging a bat this weekend. Cashman added that Abreu’s opening-day status has not been determined. ”I think if you ask him he’ll say, ’Yes,”’ Cashman said. ”If you ask the trainers, they’ll probably say, ’Yes.’ I’m not ready to say yes. These things are very tricky.” ... Cashman said the Yankees would want to sign Roger Clemens should the seven-time Cy Young Award decide to pitch this season. ”It’s like last year. If he wants to play and he wants to play for the Yankees, we have an interest,” Cashman said.