Mientkiewicz admires Jeter

TAMPA, Fla. -- Doug Mientkiewicz can remember channel surfing through a seemingly endless parade of sitcoms, news programs and sporting events, landing every now and again on Derek Jeter's grinning image.
In a long-running television commercial for Major League Baseball, Jeter summed up life as a Yankee by saying, "You either love us or you hate us."

As an opposing player, Mientkiewicz agreed with the sentiment. Now that Mientkiewicz has found his way into pinstripes, he takes it to heart even more.

"You know you have to bring your 'A' game every night," Mientkiewicz said. "I've been on the other side. I've been with the Twins, trying to see where we stand up against the Yankees. You get everybody's best, every single night."

Mientkiewicz, 32, is in his first Spring Training with the Yankees, and he now lockers just a few stalls away from the shortstop at the Legends Field complex. But from afar, Mientkiewicz has long admired Jeter's professionalism.

Mientkiewicz recalls rifling through the New York tabloids as a visiting player with Minnesota, noting Jeter's press savvy. Most quotes had the same underlying meaning -- the Yankees were going to try to beat you -- but they always seemed acceptable to opponents, never rankling or delivered with ill intent.

Mientkiewicz said he has even tried to emulate Jeter's commentary and demeanor, with mixed results.

"You've got to respect a guy from whom you never hear an 'I.' It's always 'We,'" Mientkiewicz said. "I think that's genuine, that's class. That's why he's the best. He kills you with kindness.

"There's just a good group of professionals here. It's hard not to fit in. Not only are they great players, but they enjoy the game and they have fun doing it. If you can't fit in with some of these guys, you shouldn't be playing."

In line to serve as the Yankees' first baseman against right-handed pitching, Mientkiewicz is coming off a campaign in which he batted .283 with four home runs and 43 RBIs in 91 games for the Royals.

Even through a losing campaign in Kansas City, Mientkiewicz said the Royals were able to keep their positive demeanor, reinvigorating for the lefty-hitting glove man. He has been pleased by his first experiences in the Yankees' clubhouse, which has not seemed nearly as stuffy or corporate as some might portray it to be.

"It's been a lot more laid back than I expected," Mientkiewicz said. "It's a nice atmosphere. We cut up, but when it comes time to work, you work. That's why these guys are accustomed to winning. They know how to balance the two. You have a good time, but you work your rear end off.

"So far, it's been everything I wished it could have been. I'm extremely happy."

Source: Yankees