Murcer plans to return to broadcasting

TAMPA, Fla. -- Bobby Murcer has completed a six-week program of radiation and chemotherapy, and he has set his sights on returning to work at Yankee Stadium.

"I plan on being back with the [YES] Network for sure, doing the Yankees games," Murcer said. "That's what I love to do and nothing's going to stop me from doing that. ... I can't tell you when that's going to be, but the way I feel, it feels like it's going to be pretty soon."

Murcer, 60, had surgery at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston on Dec. 28, removing a malignant brain tumor. A five-time All-Star outfielder and long-time Yankees broadcaster, Murcer's condition was diagnosed on Christmas Eve after he complained of headaches and a general loss of energy.

Murcer spoke to reporters in a conference call Monday from his home in Oklahoma City, Okla. In an upbeat mood and sounding much like he does on television broadcasts, Murcer spoke while he watched the Yankees' Spring Training game against the Detroit Tigers.

"It's nice to have baseball on TV, at least," Murcer said.

Murcer had hoped to make his way to Legends Field in Tampa, Fla., before the conclusion of the exhibition season, but that no longer appears to be a possibility.

Murcer will return to Houston on March 18 and spend more than a week at the hospital, undergoing further tests that will include an MRI exam.

"From that point on, it will determine what my long-term goals are going to be," Murcer said.

If the MRI exam reveals no further cancerous activity, Murcer may take part in a clinical trial for experimental vaccines. He said that it has not been difficult for him to keep his good spirits throughout the ordeal of chemotherapy and radiation treatment, saying that he feels blessed.

"God has blessed me so much," Murcer said. "The treatments, there were some rough spots there, but all in all, the treatment and side effects were pretty minimal. I have some down days, but everybody's going to have that when you're taking that kind of treatment."

Murcer said that an outpouring of love and support has helped boost his spirits and those of his wife, Kay. The Murcers have received great numbers of cards, e-mails and telephone calls.

"I wish I had words to describe it," Murcer said. "During these times, that really sustains you. It really gives you an uplift; you feel good. You know people are behind you and they're praying for you all over the world.

"How much better can it be than that?"

Source: Yankees