Kundun ***
(First Viewing)

In 1937, in a remote area of Tibet close to the Chinese border, a two year old child is identified as the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, the compassionate Buddha. Two years later, the child is brought to Lhasa where he is schooled as a monk and as head of state amidst the color and pageantry of Tibetan culture. The film follows him into adulthood: when he is 14, the Chinese invade Tibet and he is forced into a shaky coalition government; he travels to China to meet with a cynical Mao; and, finally, in 1959, ill and under siege, he flees to India. Throughout, he has visions of his people's slaughter under Chinese rule.

I was really surprised I liked this movie as much as I did because it's not Martin Scorsese's usual genre. His second religious movie, with his first being The Last Temptation of Christ. Based on both of these, I'm looking forward to one of his next project's Silence. It's about two Jesuit priests, SebastiĆ£o Rodrigues and Francis Garrpe, travel to seventeenth century Japan under the Shogunate regime (which has isolated itself from all foreign contact) to see how the evangelical mission is going. There they witness the persecution of Japanese Christians at the hands of their own government, which wishes to purge Japan of all western influence. Eventually the priests separate and Rodrigues travels the countryside, wondering why God remains silent while His children suffer. Finally, even though he was only in the movie for about 2 scenes, I thought Robert Lin did a great job as Chairman Mao.