First Blood

Quote:
Source: New York Post

By GEORGE KING

March 4, 2007 -- TAMPA - "American Idle" is about to be canceled. How long it stays in mothballs is yet to be determined.

Today at Bright House Networks Field in Clearwater, Carl Pavano will don a Yankees uniform and face the Phillies in a much-anticipated two-inning stint. Since Pavano hasn't hurled for the big-league club since June of 2005, more than a few organization eyes will be on the oft-injured right-hander.

"To be part of the team will be nice," Pavano said yesterday.

Since he was shelved with a right shoulder in jury in 2005, Pavano has suffered more injuries and an ocean of criticism in the Yankees' clubhouse. That came to a head this spring when Mike Mussina said, "He has to prove to us he wants to pitch."

Now, Pavano has a chance to take a baby step toward regaining a morsel of respect from teammates. Sure, it's two innings in March's infancy, but they are six very important outs for Pavano. And it goes without saying he can't get hurt.

"I don't think I will be more excited or less excited, but when I pitched last year it was in rehab starts and not at this level," said Pavano, who has given the Yankees 17 games for $40 million and posted a 4-6 record and 4.77 ERA. "There will have to be some control behavior out there."

"I am looking forward to it and he seems ready to do this," Joe Torre said. "It's basically Step 1. Get him on the mound and he is in the rotation and it's the first time around. There is no special covenant here. He is up with everybody else. Hopefully, he has no issues when he pitches his two innings."

Former big league catcher, Blue Jays manager and current television announcer Buck Martinez spotted Pavano in a Legends hallway yesterday and wished the pitcher luck against the Phillies.

Pavano said what many Yankees and fans of the team strongly agree with: "It's about time."

Pavano should be excited about facing Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell.

It may only be an exhibition game, but it offers Pavano a chance to show he is fully healthy - even after taking a liner off the left foot in batting practice eight days ago.

Pavano was shut down in 2005 with a shoulder problem that didn't require surgery.

Prior to the beginning of camp in 2006 Pavano developed a balky back.

When he did return in the final week of the exhibition schedule Pavano suffered a bruised buttock when he fell covering first base. While working his way back from that Pavano was diagnosed with bone chips in the right elbow and underwent surgery. During a rehab assignment he suffered broken ribs in a car accident Pavano foolishly hid from Yankee brass.

With $22.95 million ($10 million this year; $11 million next year and a $1.95 million option on a $15 million option the Yankees won't pick up in 2009) remaining on the contract, Pavano will join Kei Igawa in the back end of the rotation or be dealt.

If he is traded, the Yankees will no doubt have to swallow some money Pavano is owed.

With Jeff Karstens and Darrell Rasner ready now to be the No. 5 starter and Ross Ohlendorf and Phil Hughes not far away, the Yankees could afford to deal Pavano to further replenish their system.

Pavano was impressive during early bullpen sessions but raised eyebrows when he wasn't able to participate in pitcher fielding drills (PFPs) because of "heavy legs."

However, he didn't miss a pen before Alberto Gonzalez drilled him in the foot with a liner. Pavano bounced back to throw a pain-free bullpen session this week.

Frankly, Rasner and Karstens really showed me something when they came up last year with all the injuries, and Karstens in particular had maturity that defied his years. Pavano is becoming more and more expendable as the days go by, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt by mid-season if he can pitch even half-way decent. Move him for some better 1st basemen (or, gasp, dare I say, a successor to Jorge Posada, since our phenom Venezuelan prospect Jesus Montero is only 16?).