Yankees Rivera Could Return Monday

Quote:
Source: Tampa Bay Online

TAMPA - Yankees closer Mariano Rivera could make his 2007 spring training debut Monday.

Rivera, sidelined from Aug. 31 to Sept. 22 last year because of a muscle strain near his right elbow, has felt fine since spring training began. The 37-year-old right-hander threw off a bullpen mound Wednesday, and wants to throw another bullpen session Friday.

"No rush," Rivera said. "We'll go from there, see how I feel throwing. I feel real good."

Rivera went 5-5 with 34 saves and an 1.80 ERA last year.

"We don't what to change anything we've done with him," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "He tells when he's ready to go and we go accordingly."

Torre said the team likely will stay with its plan of recent years to have Rivera pitch only at home during spring training.

"You won't see a road uniform, my guess is," Torre said.

Carl Pavano, hit on the left instep by a liner during batting practice last Saturday, is to pitch off a bullpen mound Thursday. If that goes well, he would start Sunday.

Notes: Yankees general partner Steve Swindal and president Randy Levine watched part of the workout with representatives of the Chinese Baseball Association. ... Torre has been impressed by LHP Ron Villone, who came to camp with a minor league contract. ... RHP Brian Bruney (back) has resumed throwing on level ground. ... LHP Kei Igawa is teaching Villone how to play shogi, a Japanese version of chess.