Didn't Brando and Sinatra had some sort of "rivalry" during their careers? I don't think they really liked each other and competed for many different roles back then.

Sinatra was a good actor, but I don't think he can ever fit into the shoes of Vito Corleone -- Brando just stole the scnenes and transformed himself into Vito. Sinatra would never been capable of doing that because whenever I see his films, I would always think the character is Frank Sinatra because there will always be his presence no matter what. He was just that kind of guy.

As for if Marlon Brando was actually good in his performance in The Godfather, I wouldn't exactly cheer and say "It was breathtaking, excellent, fantastic, etc." The greatest thing about Brando's performance in the first Godfather film is that it was his "comeback" and he made a lasting impression on the audience. Sure, he was only in about 1/3 of the film but whenever I hear the words The Godfather, the image of Vito Corleone comes into my mind and even Robert De Niro couldn't compete with that kind of brilliance. But still -- his performance felt like a supporting role (IMO, Al Pacino's Michael always seemed like the protagonist). I think it would of had been appropriate to nominate him for a supporting Oscar.

As for what Apple said, I would have liked to see Laurence Olivier as Vito. It would of been interesting, don't you think?

I believe Brando lived the crazy lifestyle back then. It definitely seemed like it! There's still plenty of rumors bustering around him. He seemed like a strange guy. I mean, who would refuse their Oscar and then claim it later on? Oh well ...