Pavano has bone bruise

TAMPA, Fla. -- Carl Pavano blocked a line drive with his left foot and was able to walk away with just a bone bruise, as precautionary tests confirmed Monday.
The way Pavano's injury-plagued last 1 1/2 seasons have gone, some would suggest that the 31-year-old right-hander should consider his slight ailment a good sign.

Pavano sees no such irony in the assessment, saying that he's more consumed with the good feelings he's getting on the mound this spring, and returning to that action.

"It hasn't even crossed my mind," said Pavano, who was hit by a batted ball on Saturday and went for an MRI and X-rays on Sunday. "I feel like this is something that could have happened to anyone.

"I feel like this is the first time I can say that I'm just going to pick up where I left off. In the past, it's been just positive words; I don't know how committed I was to it. I'm definitely committed to the fact that I feel good."

Pavano was pitching to non-roster infielder Alberto Gonzalez on Saturday when the 13th pitch of a batting practice session was smacked back through the box, hitting the instep of Pavano's left foot.

After hobbling for a moment and conferring with bullpen coach Joe Kerrigan, Pavano returned to action and completed a 40-pitch bullpen session. He later complained of tightness, but has taped and iced the bruised foot since Saturday and is reporting continued improvement.

"The foot's not an issue," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "He puts a sneaker on and he doesn't even feel it when he's walking around. The baseball shoe is a little more uncomfortable for him."

Pavano is still a possibility to throw a bullpen session on Tuesday, saying that he feels ready, but would defer a final evaluation to the team's medical staff.

Pavano said his main concern would be completing a session Thursday in preparation for his scheduled exhibition start on Sunday at Clearwater against the Phillies.

"If everything keeps progressing the way it has, I think that's a realistic goal," Pavano said. "It could have been worse. It's just a bruise, and bruises heal quick."

Source: Yankees