Originally posted by Signor Vitelli:
We do [b]not use ketchup to represent blood! ... And, as far as smelling under the studio lights? Doubtful. [/b]
Oy, my memory could be going, even at such a * young * age wink . But I read the article (in TV Guide as I recall), 20-plus years ago, so I could have some facts wrong. Maybe this article is from the 70s. Did the television industry (as opposed to motion pictures) always use karo blood (or other professionally concocted screen blood), even from its earliest days in colour (in the 70s, I assume)? What if this soap opera was on an extremely tight budget? Would they resort to ketchup then? grin

But as for ketchup not smelling, it calls to mind a school skit put on in the classroom where one of the pupils pretended he was wounded. The youngsters used ketchup for blood and really poured it on. I can't say it was "unscented." Many of us kids exclaimed, "Ew, you can smell the ketchup" or, "This smells like Kraft Dinner."

Anyway, I can see why studios wouldn't want to use it smile .
Most theatrical artificial blood recipies (whether store-bought or homemade) may temporarily stain the skin. And, most certainly, the clothes.
Just to clarify, does this apply to karo blood as well? If people wanted to use it on their children for Halloween, how long would it be before the reddish tinge to the skin disappears? In other words, could the children go to school the next day without being laughed at? wink
... me a Renaissance man? blush The mind boggles at the thought!
You are too humble, Signor Vitelli! I wonder, are you listed in the imdb (Internet Movie Database) for your makeup work? Since your real name, I'm sure, is not Signor Vitelli, we wouldn't know where to find you. But to protect your identity, you can just tell us, "Yes, I'm in there" or "No, I'm not" without giving us the names of the films (or your own real name, for that matter). Just curious.

P.S. Thank you for the Moe Green special effect info. I don't have the Harlan Lebo book, so I always wondered how they accomplished the shot through the eyeglasses.