GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 574 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,789
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,356
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,572
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #369508
02/27/07 06:20 AM
02/27/07 06:20 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
So with the nominees we had for Best Picture and Director, with Condon blanked out, and Eastwood nominated but like Spielberg in 2005 with MUNICH, not a serious candidate for contention, Scorsese's win was inevitable.

Certainly I liked THE QUEEN, but Capo is right: Its a very nice TV drama released in theatres. Plus, Stephen Frears didn't impress me enough, nor most voters it seems.

Inarritu did a really admirable autuer work with BABEL(almost a Michael Mann-ish effort), but that movie has struggled throughout the awards season. Its probably got as many defenders as it does enemies. While some people who considered it to be a socially concious global drama, others thought it was pretentious Oscar bait that reeked of the bullshit win that CRASH got last year. The chips were stacked against BABEL.

I don't know how to grade Eastwood fairly with LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA. If someday, he would sit back down and complete a proper editing job on that film, we may very well have the best movie of 2006 on our hands. Until then, its like trying to make a palm reading of the truncated theatrical edit of Sam Fuller's THE BIG RED ONE. Admirable, but you know this version is just a cocktease.

Then there was Paul Greengrass. Out of the Best Director Oscar nominees, he's my personal pick to win for 2006, followed by Scorsese and then Inarritu. Greengrass was able to possibly re-define what a "docu-drama" movie is with UNITED 93, and that's what seperates the special directors from the rest: The special filmmakers re-event perceptions of cinema.

But he never had a chance to win on sunday. Because Academy voters were still afraid of watching a rather stark movie on the 9/11 attacks(and not the feel-good numb shots of say Oliver Stone's WORLD TRADE CENTER), many of them admittedly didn't watch UNITED 93. So unfair. Plus, the Screen Actors Guild(SAG) did its very best to try to bury the movie at the awards season because Greengrass didn't hire union actors. So while UNITED 93 never got a Best Picture nomination, it earned enough respect with several critics and voters to gain at least a Best Director nod for Greengrass.

So basically, Scorsese's win was foreseen when the Oscar nominations were announced. His DGA award sealed the deal.

Thing is folks, if the world was just and righteous, Scorsese would have won 3 Best Director Oscars: TAXI DRIVER in 1976, RAGING BULL in 1980, and GOODFELLAS in 1990. But that didn't happen. I'm happy that Scorsese won his Oscar finally, but most of all I'm pleased he won for THE DEPARTED instead of the editing-mess GANGS OF NEW YORK and THE AVIATOR. Surely if Marty had won for those latter two, that win would have been totally seen as a pity Oscar.

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #369590
02/27/07 12:11 PM
02/27/07 12:11 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
It is not unusual that the Academy gives "make up" awards to deserving actors and directors. I remember in the early seventies Dustin Hoffman's brilliant performance as Ratso Rizzo was passed over when John Wayne won for playing the same character he'd played for 50 years. The differenc was Wayne had never won and he was dying of lung cancer. Likewise Al Pacino was passed over for his early work.

For me the most striking thing about the Scorcese moment was that the award was given to him bu FFC, Spielberg and George Lucas. All four of these men really reinvented American film in the early seventies, when they were considered rebels and outsiders. Now they represent the establishment.

One side comment...whats with Lucas? He looks like he has been in an eating contest with Al Gore. Actually he is starting to look like Jar Jar Binks.

Last edited by dontomasso; 02/27/07 02:28 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: dontomasso] #369597
02/27/07 12:43 PM
02/27/07 12:43 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
It is not unusual that the Academy gives "make up" awards to deserving actors and directors. I remember in the early seventies Dustin Hoffman's brilliant performance as Ratso Rizzo was passed over when John Wayne won for playing the same character he'd played for 50 years. The differenc was Wayne had never won and he was dying of luinc cancer. Likewise Al PAcino was passed over for his early work.

Just wondering - not to get off topic. But wouldn't Hoffman's role as Rizzo have been a supporting role to Jon Voight in Midnight Cowboy? Maybe Hoffman was the lead. He was undoubtedly very good in the film.

I'm sure John Wayne was the sentimental choice that year, but was he dying at that time. I thought he died around 1980 although he may have had cancer for a longer period.

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: dontomasso] #369707
02/27/07 02:25 PM
02/27/07 02:25 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
It is not unusual that the Academy gives "make up" awards to deserving actors and directors. I remember in the early seventies Dustin Hoffman's brilliant performance as Ratso Rizzo was passed over when John Wayne won for playing the same character he'd played for 50 years. The differenc was Wayne had never won and he was dying of luinc cancer. Likewise Al PAcino was passed over for his early work.

For me the most striking thing about the Scorcese moment was that the award was given to him bu FFC, Spielberg and George Lucas. All four of these men really reinvented American film in the early seventies, when they were considered rebels and outsiders. Now they represent the establishment.

One side comment...whats with Lucas? He looks like he has been in an eating contest with Al Gore. Actually he is starting to look like Har Jar Binks.

George Lucas has looked like a Fat Panda for years upon years. A fortune of millions upon millions from STAR WARS merchandising has made him very content.

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: dontomasso] #369803
02/27/07 04:19 PM
02/27/07 04:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
It is not unusual that the Academy gives "make up" awards to deserving actors and directors. I remember in the early seventies Dustin Hoffman's brilliant performance as Ratso Rizzo was passed over when John Wayne won for playing the same character he'd played for 50 years. The differenc was Wayne had never won and he was dying of lung cancer. Likewise Al Pacino was passed over for his early work.

For years, this was my dad's favorite gripe about the Oscars! He would hold this up as an example of how unfair they were, especially since Hoffman had played the innocent Benjamin in The Graduate and then done Rizzo, such differing roles.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Sicilian Babe] #370035
02/28/07 01:25 AM
02/28/07 01:25 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
The big one for me was Russel Crowe getting best actor for The Gladiator over Tom Hanks in Castaway. I feel like there are dozens of actors that could have played Crowes part but I don't know any who could have kept an audience interested with nobody other than a volleyball to talk to. I felt like the academy just didn't want to give Hanks yet another award for some reason. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Blibbleblabble] #370039
02/28/07 01:47 AM
02/28/07 01:47 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Blibble, you have a good point. Hanks portrayal was quite challenging. Crowe's was less acting than just being himself.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: olivant] #370135
02/28/07 01:38 PM
02/28/07 01:38 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: olivant
Blibble, you have a good point. Hanks portrayal was quite challenging. Crowe's was less acting than just being himself.
...though there were no telephones in Gladiator.

Not sure about his performance being just "himself" either, but it's a tough call between him and Hanks for Castaway. I think Hanks held the film together really well, but Crowe's physical presence also made Gladiator.

If Crowe would have been inadequate in Castaway, Hanks could never have played Maximus.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #370477
03/01/07 03:42 AM
03/01/07 03:42 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I agree Capo, you couldn't switch Hanks and Crowe in the two roles but I feel like there are many more actors that could play Crowe in Gladiator, but I don't feel there are many, if any that could play the role of the Castaway.

That's just my opinion however. I would never say my opinion is the right one when it came to movies because anyone and everyone loves/hates every movie or actor.

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Blibbleblabble] #370501
03/01/07 07:35 AM
03/01/07 07:35 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
The reason why Hanks lost was because he already owned two Best Actor Oscars.

Besides, in typical Academy fashion, Crowe's win for GLADIATOR was a response to him losing for THE INSIDER back in 1999.

Anyway, what blibblebabble is trying to say, I understand. Hanks was *acting* and making a rather intimate, and in retrospect, a very awkward sexual tale to give to the psychiatrist years later. Crowe in GLADIATOR was using his rugged charisma in a movie star coasting sort of fashion.

Either performance could have won and I wouldn't have complained but that's just me.

But on topic with this thread, the AMPAS has made YouTube take down the Oscar clips, including Scorsese's triumphant moment.

Boo!

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Blibbleblabble] #370526
03/01/07 09:36 AM
03/01/07 09:36 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
That's just my opinion however.
Blibble, there is nothing but opinions, in this life.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #370670
03/01/07 04:46 PM
03/01/07 04:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
But on topic with this thread, the AMPAS has made YouTube take down the Oscar clips, including Scorsese's triumphant moment.

Boo!

This one's working, at least for now

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Irishman12] #370675
03/01/07 04:54 PM
03/01/07 04:54 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Irishman12

Boo!

Thanks Irish.

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Irishman12] #370677
03/01/07 04:58 PM
03/01/07 04:58 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Boo!

Why, copyright infringement or something like that ?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #370703
03/01/07 05:08 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

Boo!

Thanks Irish.

No prob. They took away my old one so every couple of days I'll probably have to update it

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: pizzaboy] #370704
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Boo!

Why, copyright infringement or something like that ?

Yeah, they're real b*stards about taking them down. They usually don't last too long but I guess we'll see

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Irishman12] #370705
03/01/07 05:12 PM
03/01/07 05:12 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
If you want to keep it, try searching for a thread Gina made about saving youtube videos. It works.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Irishman12] #370706
03/01/07 05:20 PM
03/01/07 05:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
They're way too uptight about that.

The Oscars are news, if you ask me, making them public property.

But I guess somebody thonks he can make a buck by privatizing it.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Irishman12] #370710
03/01/07 05:25 PM
03/01/07 05:25 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

Boo!

Thanks Irish.

No prob. They took away my old one so every couple of days I'll probably have to update it

The AMPAS, like Viacom earlier, don't want their copyrighted "precious-ness" to be seen for free.

Re: Martin Scorsese's Oscar Speech [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #370905
03/01/07 11:27 PM
03/01/07 11:27 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
That's just my opinion however.
Blibble, there is nothing but opinions, in this life.

I disagree, and I say that with no opinion whatsoever.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull