Pavano gets injury scare

TAMPA, Fla. -- Carl Pavano was hit on the left foot while pitching live batting practice to Yankees players on Saturday.
Pavano, 31, was clipped by a ball batted by infielder Alberto Gonzalez. The right-hander is attempting to make the Yankees' rotation this spring after losing the last 1 1/2 Major League seasons to an assortment of various injuries.

"It feels a little stiff," said Pavano, who later joked about having a bulls-eye on him. "It isn't the first time I got hit down there."

General manager Brian Cashman, watching the events from his perch behind the batting cage, said that Pavano "seems to be a heat-seeking missile."

"I winced like I would with anybody," Cashman said. "Obviously, we're counting on him. He's a big piece of our rotation."

For the past three days, the Yankees have been conducting live batting practice drills with starters and relievers pitching to hitters.

Some pitchers opt to use the protective 'L' screen on the mound, which likely would have blocked Gonzalez's drive. Because the drills are taking place near full speed, players like Pavano and ace Chien-Ming Wang have refused to use the screen so as not to alter their motions.

"I'd rather take that chance than sacrifice my mechanics by pitching with that screen," Pavano said. "Some guys feel comfortable with it. I don't."

Pavano said that he does not expect the injury to create a problem. He planned to report early to Legends Field on Sunday for treatment and is scheduled for a regular workout. Pavano said he would next pitch on Tuesday, the day the Yankees are planning an intrasquad scrimmage.

"I don't expect it to be hindering or anything," Pavano said.

Ironically, Pavano hit Gonzalez with a fastball during Thursday's live batting practice session, leaving the imprint of the ball's stitching bruised on Gonzalez's left bicep.

"I smiled at him and said, 'All right, payback,'" Pavano said.

Aside from Saturday's events, Pavano has been mostly healthy and is pitching well early in Yankees camp. He completed a successful offseason training program in Phoenix with trainer Brett Fischer and has earned strong endorsements thus far from manager Joe Torre, Cashman and others.

"I know the ability's there, obviously," Cashman said. "There are some good things he can do with that baseball."

Source: Yankees