Clemens Needs To Make His Decision Now

Quote:
Source: Hattiesburg American (MA)

Roger Clemens is getting away with it again.

The seven-time Cy Young winner won't make a commitment one way or the other on whether he will play this season.

He said he doesn't know if he'll play, but he's got a list of teams that he would possibly play for: New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros.

I can't argue with the fact that Clemens can still pitch. He's capable of helping any of those teams reach the postseason.

My point of contention with Clemens is the arrogance that he has displayed in the past two seasons in making teams wait and see where the fireballer will fall.

He signed a $22 million contract with the Astros last year to only pitch half a season.

That massive contract translated into a 7-6 record with a 2.30 earned run average and no postseason trip for the offensively-anemic Astros.

I argued at the time he signed on the dotted line that the Astros wouldn't reach the postseason even with Clemens in the pitching rotation, and I have a feeling he knew that as well. It seemed that the only reason Clemens was back on that field was the huge payday that was promised to him.

My question is, why does he get off so easy?

I hear very little criticism of him about making teams wait and cross their fingers that Clemens will fall in their lap.

Green Bay Packers quarterback and Southern Miss legend Brett Favre was absolutely skewered last year when he waited until April 26 to decide to come back for another year.

Granted, being an NFL quarterback is a different predicament than being one of five members of a Major League Baseball pitching staff.

But I hear very little criticism, if any, of Clemens holding out for big money for only half a season.

Clemens told The Associated Press this week that he'll wait until his agents get an offer he can't refuse before he amps up his workout regimen for a possible return.

He wouldn't be doing this if he didn't know he could still pitch. Why can't he dedicate himself to a team, go out there and complete a full season or just finally decide to retire?

Does he want to be viewed as a savior when he comes in at the midway point and leads a team to the World Series?

Save us the suspense and go ahead and sign with a team or just retire, like you said you were going to do in 2003 after your last season with the Yankees.

Don't wait and see who decides to show up with a dump truck full of cash in June.