'Embarrassed' Swindal Says The Boss Backs Him

Quote:
Source: NJ Star-Ledger

Tuesday, February 20, 2007
BY ED PRICE
Star-Ledger Staff

TAMPA, Fla. -- Steve Swindal, the high-ranking Yankees executive who last week was charged with driving under the influence, yesterday expressed regret and embarrassment but also declared, "I'm here for the duration."

Swindal is a general partner of the team as well as George Steinbrenner's son-in-law and designated successor as principal owner. Swindal faces a March 15 court date in Pinellas County for an incident early last Thursday, when he was pulled over by St. Petersburg police.

"I just wanted to tell you on a personal level how embarrassed I am for my family, for the Yankees, for the fans," Swindal, 52, said in his first comments since the arrest. "I know I let a lot of people down and I promise to do better and put this behind me."

Swindal said Steinbrenner has been in his corner.

"I've been married 23 years, and guys, I've got to tell you, on a personal level, he's been a great father-in-law and that's not changed," Swindal said. "It's a family matter. He supports me. I don't feel anything but a guy who is looking out after me and supports me."

Steinbrenner spokesman Howard Rubenstein had no comment on Steinbrenner's behalf.

Swindal declined to talk about the incident, "because I've been instructed not to." He returned to work at Legends Field yesterday, coming in about 1:30 p.m., and decided to meet with the media about an hour later.

According to police, Swindal cut off a police cruiser in traffic and was then clocked going 61 mph in a 35 mph zone. The arrest affidavit described Swindal as having "slurred, mumbled speech ... swaying, stumbling, staggering motor control ... and a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath."

Jason Giambi, who underwent surgery last fall to repair a torn ligament in his left wrist, said he wants to pace himself early in spring training. The first full-squad workout is today.

"Everything's fine," Giambi said. "(Manager Joe Torre) just wants me to start slow to make sure I don't have any setbacks."

Hideki Matsui, who missed most of last season with a broken wrist, said he has "no problem" and has been swinging a bat for about a month.

Torre was at Legends Field in the morning but, still battling illness, left during the workout.... Non-roster right-hander Steven White, who had been sidelined with a strained ligament on the right side of his neck, played catch and expects to resume throwing off a mound today or tomorrow.