Williams Waiting For Offer From Yankees That Might Never Come; Damon, Giambi, Tabata Updates!

Quote:
Source: Lower-Hudson Journal

By PETER ABRAHAM
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: February 21, 2007)

TAMPA, Fla. - Bernie Williams is waiting for an offer that isn't coming.

The Yankees worked out for the first time as a team yesterday, and Williams wasn't on the field. The team has offered him a minor-league contract, but the 38-year-old outfielder wants more.

"Bernie is not retiring but is loyal to the Yankees and feels he can be an important contributor to the '07 team," agent Scott Boras told The Associated Press. "He's continuing to work out (and) will wait to see if their position changes."

It's not changing, general manager Brian Cashman said. The Yankees have no room for Williams at the moment but are willing to have him come to camp and compete for a job.

"The best chance is for him to be here and play," manager Joe Torre said.

Williams has not returned repeated telephone calls from Cashman and Torre.

"Bernie is still very sensitive," Torre said. "I like him very much, but there is nothing about Bernie that can surprise me. That's his personality."

Cashman was more blunt.

"You'd have to be stupid not to interpret the answer. He's given us the answer," he said. "If something changes, I guess he'll let us know first. But it's time to start focusing on who we have here now."

Damon takes it slow: Johnny Damon injured his left shoulder during drills at this time last season. So he plans to take it slow this spring.

"I'm going to take it easy. It doesn't need to be 100 percent right now," he said.

Damon said his various aches and pains from last season - particularly the cracked bone in his left foot - have healed.

"I've been able to run a little bit," he said. "I haven't run much because I wanted to rest a lot. This first week of spring I'm definitely going to work on getting in better shape."

Damon has defined goals for the upcoming season.

"I wasn't my normal self as far as hitting with runners in scoring position," he said. "That has to get better, and I struck out a few more times than I wanted to."

Giambi goes deep:
Jason Giambi had not taken batting practice since having surgery on his left wrist in October. But he launched four balls out of Legends Field during batting practice.

"Everything feels great," he said. "It's better than it was before I hurt it."

Extra bases: Torre was back at Legends Field after missing 1 1/2 days with a touch of the flu. ... None of the Yankees are pleased with their MLB-mandated spring-training caps, which have white piping on the brim and on the sides. "The hats are terrible," Jeter said. ... Jose Tabata, an 18-year-old outfielder from Venezuela, has his locker next to countryman Bobby Abreu. Tabata is listed at 5-foot-11, 212 pounds. "He looks like a little Manny Ramirez," Abreu said.