Yankees Williams A No-Show

Quote:
Source: Associated Press

Tampa, Fla. — Bernie Williams was nowhere to be seen, and New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman doesn't think that will change.

"It appears he made his decision. That's all I can take from it," Cashman said. "I'm assuming at this stage that he's not coming."

Yankees position players took physicals Monday, a day ahead of their first workout. Manager Joe Torre, fighting a cold, went home before the end of Monday's workout and didn't speak with reporters. Torre had planned to call Williams again Sunday, and Cashman said he didn't hear that a conversation took place.

Catcher Jorge Posada has called Williams several times — he placed another call Sunday — but hasn't reached Williams.

"I don't think he'll be here," Posada said. "I don't think we're going to see him unless Joe Torre convinces him."

Williams has been in the Yankees' organization since signing with them on his 17th birthday in 1985, and he came up to the major league club in 1991. With the emergence of Melky Cabrera as the fourth outfielder, the move of Jason Giambi to designated hitter and the planned platoon at first base, there's no room for a fifth outfielder on the roster.

"I'm going to work as if I'm playing first base. That's going to be up to Joe. It's not going to be my decision," Giambi said. "I'd love to have Bernie around here. He's a great teammate. I'll do whatever it takes. If that gives him an opportunity, that would be great."

Torre said Sunday that Williams was hurt that the Yankees didn't offer him a guaranteed spot on their regular-season roster. Williams doesn't want to play for any other team, and Torre said that if he wants to extend his career, he should report with or close to the other position players.