With Friends Like These...

Quote:
Source: Daily News

'Friends' of Bernie offer little support

BY MARK FEINSAND
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

TAMPA - Although there is no hard deadline, today should be decision day for Bernie Williams, who must decide whether he will be in pinstripes for the Yankees' first full-squad workout tomorrow at Legends Field.

Joe Torre planned on calling Williams, who has a standing offer to attend camp as a nonroster invitee, last night to find out if the outfielder was considering coming back for potentially a 17th season as a Yankee.

While the sentimental feeling in the clubhouse is that it would be great to see him in camp, two of his long-time teammates said Williams' presence might not be the best thing for the Yankees when it comes to putting the best team on the field.

"As a player and a teammate, I want Bernie here," Mariano Rivera said. "But I don't know if that's in the best interest of the team. The Yankees will decide that."

"To be here fighting for a job, it's tough to swallow when it comes to Bernie Williams," said Jorge Posada. "You look at it from a team point of view ... as a team, you want the team to be better."

Not only are Rivera and Posada longtime teammates, they are both facing career decisions. Rivera arrived in camp complaining about the fact he is unsigned beyond this year, and Posada also can be a free agent after this season.

Both Rivera and Posada pointed out that there isn't a spot for the 38-year-old Williams on the roster as currently constructed, with a platoon at first base. Should the team opt to use Doug Mientkiewicz as the everyday starter, Williams could take the spot that had been designated for either Josh Phelps or Andy Phillips.

Jason Giambi is slated to be a full-time DH and Melky Cabrera is set to get plenty of at-bats as the fourth outfielder, so Williams' role with the Yankees should he make the team would be limited to pinch-hitting duties.

"I don't think that would affect Bernie," Posada said. "I think he would be happy with that, but that's not the case. They're not guaranteeing he's going to be the 25th man."

As loyal as Torre has been to Williams, he can't make any assurances that he will have a spot on the roster at the end of the spring.

"I can't paint a picture that's guaranteeing him anything," Torre said. "I know there are a lot of players in this clubhouse who certainly feel for Bernie. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the game a lot of times that there's still business to take care of."

Torre, who spoke with Williams last week, said he was holding out hope that Williams would change his mind and report to camp. Posada, who hasn't been able to get in touch with his friend in a few days, thinks he has seen the last of Williams in a Yankees uniform.

"If he hasn't been here yet, he won't be here. I would love to see him walk through that door, but ..." Posada said. "He hasn't returned my calls. That tells me it's something negative. It tells me he won't be here."

GM Brian Cashman said he hadn't heard from Williams or his agent, Scott Boras. Boras did not return a call seeking comment.

If Williams plans to fight for a job, it would be wise for him to be in Tampa today to take his physical. The first full-squad workout is tomorrow, and Williams would need every break he can get to show the Yankees why he should be on the team.

"For his sake, the sooner the better," Torre said. "The more opportunities he gets to show what he contributes to our situation now, the better chance he has. ... If there wasn't any chance, I certainly wouldn't be trying to talk him into coming down."

Williams hit .281 with 12 home runs and 61 RBI in 420 at-bats last season, playing a lot more than expected due to injuries to Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield. When the Yankees acquired Bobby Abreu at the trade deadline, it cut into Williams' role, limiting him to just 116 at-bats over the season's final two months.

Should Williams return, it is not a certainty that a major injury to an outfielder would result in a greater opportunity. Cabrera would step in as the starting outfielder if Matsui, Abreu or Johnny Damon were injured, and if there was a second injury, the Yankees likely would go out and get whoever this year's Abreu is.

"That's not saying if we do have a breakdown somewhere that it's not going to involve more at-bats for him, because that probably will be the case," Torre said. "But we can't go into the season saying, ‘You're going to get 300 at-bats,' because you certainly don't pull for things to happen so that's the case."

Whatever Williams' ultimate decision is, it will be a difficult one.

"Being in his shoes isn't easy right now," Rivera said. "It's a decision that he has to make, and everybody will respect whatever he does."