Silent Alarm

Quote:
Source: New York Post

by George King

February 18, 2007 -- TAMPA - With position players reporting to Legends Field today, Bernie Williams isn't expected to join the Yankees' camp.

According to GM Brian Cashman, there was no contact between the Yankees icon and the team yesterday. The Yankees offered Williams a minor-league invite, a chance to make the team as an extra player, but so far Williams has rejected that avenue to continue his stellar career.

"I believe Bernie can still play," Cashman said during a pitchers-and-catchers workout at Legends. "If he believes he can help, we would love to have him. This [minor-league contract] is the only vehicle I could create. If he doesn't want to do it, I understand. That's all I can say."

Because it's the beloved Williams, a 16-year Yankee and one of the dwindling names from the Joe Torre Dynasty, much more attention is being paid to Williams' situation than another name.

However, that will fade as the Yankees prepare for the season.

"At some point, we have to focus on who is here, and that will be quickly," said Cashman, who refused to divulge if there is a deadline on the offer.

Should Williams change his mind and report soon, he will battle right-handed first basemen Josh Phelps and Andy Phillips for the 25th man on the roster. Williams won't be considered for first base action, but the switch-hitter would give Torre options off the bench and at DH when Torre rests Jason Giambi.

Of course, Williams has to be in camp to win a job. Agent Scott Boras said yesterday, "I didn't hear anything from anybody today."

Torre, who chatted with Williams Wednesday, was out with the flu yesterday. Earlier in the week, Torre encouraged Williams to compete for a spot.

Last year, Williams, 38, convinced everybody that he can still play. In 420 at-bats, he batted .281 with 12 homers and 61 RBIs. That production and what he has meant to the Yankees led Williams to believe the team would bring him back via a major-league contract. Yet, from the start of the process Cashman has said Williams didn't fit on the major-league roster. Hence, the minor-league invite that Williams hasn't accepted.

With Melky Cabrera entrenched as the fourth and final outfielder, because Torre intends to carry a dozen pitchers, Williams doesn't have the option of the fifth outfielder to make the team. Since he isn't adept at base running, playing defense or pinch-hitting (.158; 3-for-19 last year), Williams' best spot to help is as a DH. By carrying Phelps or Phillips, the Yankees would have a right-handed-hitting first baseman to share with Doug Mientkiewicz.

If Williams doesn't report, he is basically ending one of the premier Yankees careers. Boras says Williams doesn't want to trade his pinstripes for another uniform. His 22 postseason homers are the most in baseball history, two ahead of Manny Ramirez. With 83 October RBIs, Williams is 20 ahead of David Justice, Reggie Jackson and Manny Ramirez, who are tied for second. On the all-time Yankees lists, Williams is fourth in hits (2,336), fifth in runs (1,366), sixth in homers (287) and sixth in games (2,076).

As for the reporting process, a player doesn't need to physically be at Legends Field today. All he has to do is call the Yankees and tell them he is in Florida. Physicals will be taken tomorrow, and the first full-squad workout is slated for Tuesday.

Derek Jeter, Miguel Cairo and Mientkiewicz, who have been working out at the minor-league complex, dropped off their gear Friday. Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi and Johnny Damon are expected tomorrow.