Clemens says only 20 percent chance he will return

HOUSTON -- Seven-time Cy Young winner Roger Clemens has given himself just a 20 percent chance of returning to the mound next season.

"Koby [his son] asked me last night when we were working out, he was doing more of a workout than I was," Clemens, 44, told Houston television station KRIV-TV in an interview on Thursday.

"I still told him 80-20 that I wasn't going to play.

"We get little notes at my foundation about people saying they wish I would make up my mind and decide because I am leaving people hanging. I'm not leaving anybody hanging.

"I don't want to play," added Clemens.

If Clemens, one of just four major league pitchers to record more than 4,000 strikeouts, does return for a 24th season, it probably will be back with his hometown Houston Astros or with another of his former teams, the Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees. The right-hander was part of two World Series championship teams during a five-year stint with the Yankees from 1999-2003.

With the Astros the last two seasons, he got to spend time on the field with Koby, his son, an Astros minor leaguer. The Rocket didn't have to always be with the major league team on days he didn't pitch.

"The teams that are involved, I think they've got really good clubs that are together, and if somebody stubs their toe and my phone rings in May, I might have to think about it," Clemens told KRIV.

Source: ESPN