Rivera Upset Yankees Not Negotiating

Quote:
Source: Lower-Hudson Journal

By PETER ABRAHAM
February 15, 2007

TAMPA, Fla. - Mariano Rivera understands why the Yankees plan to wait until after the season to discuss a contract extension. But if the legendary closer does get to free agency, the only team he has ever played for should not expect any special consideration.

"Everybody would have the same shot," Rivera said yesterday. "The Yankees would not have an advantage. Everybody would have a free shot."

That is welcome news to the Red Sox and any other team without an established closer. But the Yankees are banking on Rivera wanting to stay in New York. They also retain his rights for 15 days after the final game of the World Series and would try to reach an agreement during that time.

"I don't anticipate Mariano never being anything but a Yankee," general manager Brian Cashman said. "We love Mo. He knows that, he knows how we feel. ... I don't think this is as big an issue as it's being played out to be."

Rivera was uncharacteristically irritated as he discussed his contract status on Monday. Cashman called the right-hander on Tuesday night after reading his comments and came away optimistic.

"I've personally done every one of Mariano Rivera's contracts and never had a problem," Cashman said. "We've always had common ground. We've always been fair and respectful, and he has been back. We've never had an issue. But I believe there's a time and place for everything."

The 37-year-old Rivera appeared in only four games last September because of a muscle strain near his right elbow. Tests taken last fall were negative, and Rivera said he feels strong. But there are plans to limit Rivera to one inning per appearance this season.

By waiting to commit the money, the Yankees can ensure that Rivera is healthy and productive.

"All I can tell you is that I'm going to focus on this year and at the end of the year we'll see what happens," Rivera said.

Rivera spoke in conciliatory tones regarding his conversation with Cashman and said several times that he is not upset with the GM or the Yankees.

But as he is on the mound, Rivera was ruthless behind a calm exterior. If the Yankees want to discuss an extension, they'd better do so soon. That door slams shut once the regular season starts.

"I won't be talking," Rivera said. "I would say to wait until the end of the year because that would be a distraction. That's how I work."

Rivera has been one of the key players of the Joe Torre dynasty, saving 413 games and dominating the postseason. His last contract extension came during spring training in 2004.

"I don't know what they're thinking now," Rivera said. "This is a business, and I cannot control what they do. They're going to do whatever they're going to do. On my behalf, all I have to do is make sure I stay healthy and help the team as much as I can."

As Rivera and other pitchers reported for their physicals, Derek Jeter worked out across the street at the minor-league complex. Asked about the idea of Rivera leaving, the team captain laughed.

"Mo will be here next year," Jeter said. "Where's he going to go? ... I'm just playing. But I'm sure it will work out."

The Yankees have no closer on the horizon. Current set-up man Kyle Farnsworth closed for the Braves over the final two months of the 2005 season, but wears down easily.

"You can't replace a guy like Mo," catcher Jorge Posada said. "He's the best ever at what he does."

It would be unsettling to Yankee fans to see Rivera pitching for another team. Even Rivera admitted that he could not imagine such an outcome. But he held the possibility open.

"If I have to, I have to do it," he said. "I'm not going to sit home crying."