River Offers Zambrano's Ultimatum: Sign Me By The End Of Spring Training Or Else

Quote:
Source: Newsday

BY JIM BAUMBACH

February 15, 2007
TAMPA, Fla. -- If the Yankees don't sign Mariano Rivera to an extension by the end of spring training, their longtime closer vowed yesterday to give every team an equal shot to sign him.

"The Yankees will not have an advantage," he said.

Speaking softly and confidently for about 10 minutes in front of his Legends Field locker, Rivera reiterated his strong desire to remain a Yankee and was adamant he is not upset.

But Rivera also made it clear the Yankees should not take his words lightly.

When asked if he could picture himself wearing another uniform, he said, "I don't, but if I have to, I have to do it."

Brian Cashman called Rivera Monday night to talk about his uncharacteristically strong comments, and the Yankees general manager left the conversation confident Rivera understood his stance.

"I don't feel there is an issue here," Cashman said.

Cashman said he explained to Rivera that he doesn't want to deal with contracts until they expire, and Rivera is no different.

"I told him what my preference is," Cashman said. "My preference is, right now it's 2007 and we're focusing on the '07 situation. It's very hard, despite how great Mariano is, to all of a sudden pick and choose who to start discussing contracts with."

Rivera added, "They'll make the decision. They have to do what they have to do. I have to play my season and wait for them."

But Rivera seemed to hold out hope that a deal still could be done, and he said he'd be willing to talk about an extension until the end of camp as long as the Yankees make first contact. But he stressed he would not negotiate during the season.

Although Cashman did not rule out signing Rivera to an extension in spring training, he strongly expressed his preference to wait until after the season to negotiate.

"At the end of the day I think it's a lot simpler to handle," Cashman said.

"The Yankees are very good at writing the checks. I personally have done every one of Mariano's contracts and I've never had a problem. We've always found common ground."

But Rivera's previous two extensions were negotiated in spring training, and he has never been a free agent.

If Rivera gets that chance next winter, he said he plans to test the open market, a possibility that can't sit too well with Yankee fans.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Rivera said.

"All I can tell you right now is that I'm going to focus on this season, and at the end of the year we'll see what happens. The Yankees know me. They know what I want to do. I want to remain a Yankee."

And the Yankees to a man expect Rivera to stay in pinstripes, even if the contract isn't finalized until after the season.

"I don't anticipate Mariano ever being anything but a Yankee," Cashman said.

Derek Jeter added, "Mo ain't going anywhere. Mo will be right here next year. Where's he going to go?"

Then Jeter said, "I'm just playing."

Rivera, however, is not kidding these days. When asked if he thought the Yankees are waiting until the offseason so they can make sure he stays healthy, he said, "Maybe they're thinking that. Maybe they think they have to wait for me to be healthy. But I'm good. I don't have to prove to nobody. I'm fine."

With the memory of Rivera's elbow injury from September still fresh, the Yankees enter spring training with the intention of viewing Rivera as a one-inning pitcher only.

But he disagreed, saying, "I will never think one inning."