Jeter Doubts Bernie Will Show Up

Quote:
Source: Newsday

BY JIM BAUMBACH AND KEN DAVIDOFF

February 15, 2007
TAMPA, Fla. -- Derek Jeter is one of the few Yankees who managed to reach Bernie Williams lately, and the captain said yesterday he doesn't think Williams will be with the team in spring training.

"From what I understand, he's not coming. From what I've heard," Jeter said. "Whether he changes his mind or they change their mind, I have no idea. But as far as I know, he's not coming."

Williams, who presumably is at home in the New York area, said last week he was leaning toward declining the Yankees' non-roster invitation. Pitcher Jose Veras is already using what has long been Williams' locker here.

Williams, of course, could change his mind. Joe Torre is one of his biggest supporters and has reached out to him twice in the past week. Torre even said Monday that Williams would have a shot to make the Opening Day roster.

Williams also has the support of his most influential teammates.

"Bernie had a good year last year," Jeter said. "He wasn't expected to play much last season, and then because of injuries, he found himself in the lineup a lot. He did a great job. He did an outstanding job. I don't know what the numbers are. I don't know what the situations are. But I wish Bernie was here."

Mariano Rivera also has reached out to Williams recently but hasn't spoken with him. "I've been trying," he said, "but no luck."